Thursday 6 th Sept 2012

21 to 36 of 36 messages
06/09/2012 at 15:59

Tom Physically I'm probably back where I was 2 years ago just as I was coming down with a pirriformal injury though 6 months later I sub 3'd VLM. Mentally I'm further back but hope to improve post Abingdon.

Shoe wise I have always trained and mostly raced in various edititions of Cumulus though my "old" racing shoes are Starspeed 4's (red) which knocked substantial minutes off both my hm and fm pb's. My new racing shoes are starspeed 5's (also red) imported from the US and bought purely because I love the look of them. I am about to purchase a new pair of training shoes which will either be Cumulus or Gel Hyper's depending on price and daring!

LMH Glad the dentist went well and hope that phase two doesn't cause too many problems.

Edited: 06/09/2012 at 15:59
06/09/2012 at 15:59
Chickadee "shoes - I love shoes"

That's nearly as seminal a post as "My name is Clink and I'm a shopaholic*"

* I do hope I've remembered that correctly, if not apologies for any unintended offence.
06/09/2012 at 17:18

LMH I'm surprised that  NHS will not fund a root treatment.  An extraction when a recruitment is indicated seems a bit barbaric!

06/09/2012 at 17:55

Tom: I don't remember Clink saying that...will ask her when I see her! We keep managing to miss one another at races.
Are these the shoes:

http://www.barringtonsports.com/products/17/style/asics_ss12_gel_hyperspeed_5_running_shoes_2011/14946/view

Decent price! Have used this firm quite a bit for hockey and cricket gear for my kids.

Do you remember Lawrence Ripples? Would now be called a trail shoe, and I think there was a view that Reebok copied these. Can't remember what their shoe was called, but I remember racing in paper thin World Ten's and training in Aztecs.

06/09/2012 at 18:03

OH - that was my thinking but apparently it's because it's a molar.

Alehouse - I had ripples for x-country as a girl - not sure if they are the Lawrence Ripples you refer to.

06/09/2012 at 19:43
Looks like I underestimated the wind on Tuesday - local rag reports wind recorded as regularly Gusting to 60 mph - I'll mebbe not be too hard on myself for those 16 MM paces up the hill into the wind

Mizuno waverider 7
06/09/2012 at 19:47

Evening

LMH Glad dentist wasn't too bad just shame about extraction

Chickadee Are we twins re- the AC/DC and saucony also my next big race is Oct 7th Didn't we both share a race date end of June  except you didn't end up doing that one  Better luck for this one sure you'll be fine

Me i ended up doing 5.6 miles in my Kinvaras nowt special just  routine nice evening for it

06/09/2012 at 19:50

Sorry Starspeed should be Speedstar, Asic's anyway.

Went for the Gel Hyper's as there weren't any Cumulus' in my size at a reasonable price.

06/09/2012 at 19:59

Sorry for the repeat post folks - think I left mobile with internet unlocked in pocket while running. Must have gone back a page then resent
Also the typo "Recruitment" instead of "Root Treatment" - was playing with DragonDictate and didn't notice error until too late.

6 miles with JS group tonight

LMH - I've had several root treatments on molars on NHS (and we're short of dentists here, NHS and private).
[Molars have 3 root canals each to deal with while front teeth only have one]

06/09/2012 at 20:13

Evening 

LMH: Yeah I finish 3 weeks tomorrow in it. 

I think he competed as a Junior for GB as he looks early 20s maximum. The navy guy said: Okay so you're fit then !'

Catch up time

06/09/2012 at 20:18

Shoes ! Currently in Nike Vomeros. Favourite all time racing shoeswere Nike Terra TC, (early 1980s) , Nike Spiridon Gold (1985ish),Reebok Paris Racer mid - late 1980s and Mizuno Phantom Racers mid 1990s.

Fav all round shoes: NB 878, Reebok GL6000s, adidas zx500, zx600, Nike Pegasus,

Spikes: Reebok Colonge Distance, Nike Zoom Distance.

06/09/2012 at 20:29

Evening all.

What: just over 10 km with club
Why: perservering with club!

Some calf soreness from lacrosse on Monday.  Was bad on Tuesday, but massaging and strecthing helped a lot.  Have stretched it out after run, but think I will massage for good measure.

Shoes: Asics 2170.  Used to have Kayano, then started having problems with them so switched.  Would like to try some lightweight shoes for races and trail shoes for the trails round here, but no idea where to start with either of those!

Tom  he he, your post made me laugh re sticking a stud to your shoes!
LMH humm mixed reports from the dentist from the sounds of it.

Signed up to another race on Saturday, only 5 km, but my comeback is definitely well underway!

Have a good one all.

06/09/2012 at 21:11
Alehouse - hyperspeeds 5, yes ...pretty aren't they. Lawrence, yes that's the one's not Reebok at all.
Blisters    pirate
06/09/2012 at 21:58

My favourite racers after trying and being moderately happy with Nike and Asics were the Nike Zoom Marathoner, as championed by Queen Paula herself. I'm so attached to my last pair that I haven't dare throw them out, but use them as slippers. I always used to buy 2 pairs at the London marathon expo, but since Virgin and the economic collapse I gather that it's as dead as the British Museum.

Training: after dropping the MG off 2 miles away I ran home. SO that's 6.5 miles done, including a slightly off beam bugger of a hill with a trig point, beacon and great view. If I say that my pace dropped to 17m/m you'll understand. An enjoyable outing.

06/09/2012 at 22:39

Sounds good, Blisters. Just the 8 x 25 secs for me, plus 3k walk. Not too bad in terms of comfort: I hope I don't change my mind in the morning.

Emzap: both kayano and 2100 series have some anit-pronation features, with the DS trainer being a lighter version. DS racer is lighter still (very much like a 70s shoe!): I have an unworn pair which are a thing of beauty and will probably remain so because they probably have too little support, even for slippers.
Tom: there was a reebok version of the Lawrence and we sold lots of them. They were blue (of course) and the tread was slightly curved and less deep. I fancy the hyperspeeds but I need a little of the anti-pronation features mentioned above. Nice price from that shop!

Birks, professional athlete and 24/7 forumite aside, do you have any work plans, or are you going to do what I have done and take what ever crops up? I keep turning work down, I'm pleased to say! Received a contract for 3 days a week last night...couldn't find it this evening and have just had to rescue it from my trash folder!

Blisters    pirate
06/09/2012 at 23:31

Ale I had the DS trainers as my high mileage shoes, and DS racers as er the others. If I recall correctly they were crap at holding the road in the rain, and caused Martin Lel to lose the London Marathon in a 2 person crash at the Tower of London.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.