Thursday Session - 7 November

41 to 45 of 45 messages
07/11/2002 at 22:13
Drew -

I don't actually disagree at all -

I think from time to time we all get muscle imbalances that, if we don't correct them in time, lead to injuries. And by far the best and quickest way of correcting them in weight training.

Sadly, I too find that my body is never going to respond to - how shall we say? - a cosmetic programme of weight training. But hey, who wants it anyway? Muscle is just dead weight, right? (He said, enviously!)
07/11/2002 at 22:43
Must admit I'm a big advocate of the strength/cross training idea and do 2 bike/gym workouts per week instead of recovery runs.

Had a closer look at a couple of the Horwill articles, looks like he thinks a reasonable pace difference between 5K, 10K, 1/2M and marathon is 15 secs per mile e.g. if you're running 5:45 pace for 5K, then 10K @6 min, 1/2M @ 6:15 etc. This looks a little out of whack to me compared to his predictions of marathon finish time from 10K race time. His method for predicting finish time is 5-times 10K time minus 10 minutes, which would give me 2:53, if I now use this time to workout my 400m time for marathon pace section of the variable pace run then I should be running these 400m in ~ 98 secs, however, using the 15 secs per mile method I should be running these 400m in ~ 95 secs (OK, so 3 secs per lap may not sound that much to some but it's the difference between life-and-death for me!!). Well whatever, I still think it's onehellofaworkout.

Mike S,
I think your 5K pace 400m time would be much quicker than 89/90 sec per lap as you've cranked out a fair few 5K races this year around 17:30 so I'd think your pace would be more like 82-84 sec per lap.
33 laps does sound like a fair few but when you're totally focused on maintaining pace 25 laps goes by pretty quick (apart from the wretching).
08/11/2002 at 09:41
MM - sorry you're right - for some reason when I wrote my stuff I'd made my mind up the faster laps were at 10K pace not 5K pace.
Having said that, I'd be looking to go at ~86 second pace as my fastest this year was actually 17:36 and there was an element of wind assistance in that.
Now it starts to look a bit more formidable.....
08/11/2002 at 14:02
Mike S,
at the risk of making this workout sound even more formidable, your 17:36 5K, is dead on 5:40 min/mile pace which would give you 85 sec/quarter mile or about 84 sec/lap if you're doing 400m repetitions ;-)
08/11/2002 at 14:19
Drew and the gang... another reason for the gerls to be doing strength training is to help prevent osteoporosis etc... so I really must do it. All this fat loss can upset a ladies hormones. Doesn't happen to you chaps, you can be skinny runts without a worry. If we're to be skinny things we have hormonal imbalances and grow beards!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 45 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.