time short training!!

4 messages
13/07/2008 at 20:06

Hi anyone/everyone

Ive been running for 2 and half years and for most of that time wanted a 4 hour marathon (best 4.12) My problem is time. My half and 10k times suggest I can go sub 4. (Best 10K 44.02 half 1.42.30) y problem is time due to work and family I just cant get out for lots of very long runs, although Ive followed the FIRST 3 day prog its not been enough. Ive entered the Robin Hood marathon in Sep and have started my own prog which is as follows.Sprint work mainly 800 repeats at 7 min mileing tempo runs at 7.45 up to 10 K and long runs up to a max of 15 miles (2 hours at 8 min mileing) the plan would then be on the day run 15 at 8 min mileing then slow run/walk the rest.Am I crazy or do you think I have a chance?

16/07/2011 at 11:22

To give people hope forgot I posted this, The answer was yes ran a 3.52. Biggest thing its in the head. After the first now have 3 more sub 4 and 4 ultras including a beautiful bronze comrades. In other words

KEEP THE FAITH

18/07/2011 at 18:37
well done martin ! nice to know it can be done if you commit to a plan. did you continue on the plan you mentioned in 2008?
20/07/2011 at 15:56

MM- Yes I did still run more miles at marathon pace than most would suggest but gives me confidence. Average week 10-15 long sundat 5k treadmill session and a sub 50 10k.

On the day I ran slower than 8mm but it felt slow first walk was at 21 miles which was also 3 hours in. Therefore new I was in and just relaxed. Hope that helps

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.