Tips for 40 minute 10k

21 to 25 of 25 messages
30/10/2012 at 13:38

mark - i do mile reps.  for a 10k i aim at 4 reps starting with a big recovery at first say 3mins and over the following weeks reducing the recovery but keeping the pace and consistency the same.

03/11/2012 at 12:09

I finally managed it! 39:17 for a 10K  

It was on a treadmill though. (Incline a 1%)

Now to crack 37 mins 

I tried mile reps but could pnly manage about 1200m before slowing. Must have been one of those days! I'll keep at it.

Edited: 03/11/2012 at 12:10
03/11/2012 at 20:14
Brilliant, well done Mark!

Been following this thread with interest, I'm running Brighton 10k in a couple of weeks and aiming to go sub 45 for the first time (current pb 46:22).

I've had so much advice from running friends, though the majority seems to focus on the quality of sessions and so I've been doing more of these and not less as per the advice you've had here. The result is that i'm completely shattered so having to take a couple of days off to rest up meaning I miss my weekly long run tomorrow.

I'm going to switch to more easy runs from next week - got a marathon in December which I also need to think about.

Keep us posted on your progress!
06/11/2012 at 21:14
Mark, well done. Hope you manage the same time on the road soon!!!

A lot of the advice in this thread has been based on running - you should also focus on your core and posterior chain as they will be really important in giving you strength in your glutes which will drive you forward. Would really recommend kettlebell swings and plank/side plank exercises.
19/12/2012 at 21:10

oooooooooo

Much better result on a treadmill. 37:40 with a 1% incline.

I've upped the milage up to 45 miles per week and included resistance training. HEAVY squats and hamstring work as well as trying to get my glutes working. Not sure how this will transfer onto a flat 10k. Any ideas?

I might include a morning cycle to work and bac and see if this helps at all.

My new running schedule:

Monday - 8 miles easy 7:20 per mile

Tuesday - 10x1200 intervals at under 6:00 per mile if I can do it!

Wednesday - cycle ot work and run 9 miles home 7:20 per mile roughly

Thursday - 4 x 600, 4 x 400, 4 x 200 + 10k tempo run + weights.

Friday 7 to 8 miles easy

Sat long run 16 miles +

Sun rest or 3 miles very easy.

As always, I really apreciate everyones comments or advice. It's got me this far...New target is sub 35 minutes 

Cheers guys and gals

Edited: 19/12/2012 at 21:11

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.