Tiredness on long runs

8 messages
03/02/2014 at 13:08

Hi All,

Any avdice would be most helpful.

I have been running now for about 8 years and have run numerous 10ks, 3 half marathons and 2 full marathons.

I am currently training for the Brighton Marathon in April although recently I have found that my levels of energy on long runs are well below what they used to be. I can set off and after only 2 or 3 miles I need to stop for a recovery breather, I could run 10 miles without stopping 3 years ago but now find myslef needing these mini breathers during a long run, I'm not setting out too fast and run at a comfortable pace, I eat a bowl of porridge and a banana an hour before setting out and make sure I am well hydrated and take a drink with me on these runs, so why would I be struggling? Is there anything else I could do? 

Thanks WS.    

03/02/2014 at 17:06

possibly check your iron levels? if you are even mildly anaemic it can affect your ability to process oxygen.

03/02/2014 at 19:57

Thanks MM I will work on that....WS 

03/02/2014 at 20:02

Have you considered having a full health check up if that's a possibility for you? There are quite a few possibilities I could think of, from anaemia (as above) through to allergy-induced asthma, to the normal aging process.

Best of luck.

Gaz

04/02/2014 at 09:06

That depends I think. Are you starting up the long distances again or is it a sudden drop in energy level? If you just start your distance traning again I would not worry too much at this point (if and when your health is OK and it is not a sudden drop in which case I would go and have your blood checked out). Maybe it is not a bad idea to start with a run walk run scenario for the first few miles. I bet you are even faster than if you would keep pushing and suddenly need to walk because you become too tired. During my last long training run of 27 miles I started with run walk run and I really mean run walk run (2 minutes run and 30 sec walk). I did that for a couple of miles, prolonged the running bits and ended with a great training pace, much better than my previous 20 or 23 miles with continuous running. And I felt great. Just give it a try and see if it works out for you

Happy running

04/02/2014 at 13:12

Gaz,

Thanks, I have a bi-annual health check through my employer which was only back in October of last year, I do have a low blood platlet count so this could be a contributing factor?  It's certainly not asthma as I suffered from this in childhood and the symptons are nothing like that of asthma.

Max,

I think you may have a good point there, I will give the run/walk a try on Sunday, after all there is no shame in walking during these training sessions.

I have been training for the Brighton Marathon since November the long runs just seem like hard work, I will persist and monitor any improvement.

Thanks Chaps. WS   

Edited: 04/02/2014 at 13:13
05/02/2014 at 09:30

@ WS: Just give it a try and see how that feels. And... shame in walking? Since I started training with the RWR method I became faster and less tired Google Jeff Galloway and you will see wat I mean. I will run a 30 mile training run this Sunday and you bet I will use the RWR (and I know that I am home sooner than with continous running as well). 

Happy running

07/02/2014 at 13:14

Thanks - I have 15 miles planned this Sunday I will take your advice on board.

Good luck with your 30 miler.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.