Too old to get faster?

4 messages
03/06/2012 at 19:41

Having only started running when I was 50 (two & half years ago) I've since done a couple of 10k's , a 10 mile and a half marathon, (would love to do a full marathon at some point). I'm not that fast 10k =58mins, half M = 2:10. I've tried to do some speed work, but just can't manage more that 1  x 800m speed session and that's it I'm totally shot. Tempo sesions are not too bad.

Should I accept I'm just too old to get any quicker and just enjoy my 10 min / mile plods or is there something else I should try?

03/06/2012 at 21:17

No don't accept it - you can get quicker - I started again at 51 ( 31/12/2010) and my first 5 mile race was in March 2011 and was run in  50:41 - I improved that to 41:22 in October - am looking to increase that this October - around 37:30 in October - with an ultimate goal of sub 30 Ocotber 2013 -

Now you say you do one 800 metres and you are shot - that suggests to me that you are trying to run it to quickly - The goal of an interval session like that is to run each session quickly enough that you can fisnish the session but not to quick that you can't finish it - all you have to do is run slightly quicker than your normal race pace -  Also as I try and do a couple of tempo runs each week, I tend to do a shorter interval session  eg 10 times 90 seconds off a minute recovery or 15 times a minute again off a minute recovery.

My week looks like this

Monday - 3 miles brisk

Tuesday - 5 miles tempo

Wednesday - Interval session as described above

Thursday - 5 miles tempo

Friday rest day - so no more than 2 miles very easy

Saturday 7 miles - run as I feel

Sunday 3 or 4 miles easy.

Now I am not sugesting you copy the above as my rest day tends to be a short run!!! and everyday is not suitable for every one ( I will admit to have run in my 20s and 30s to an OK standard) but after 12 years out of  the sport - did really start again using the run walk schedules on here.

So my answer (eventually) to your question is yes you can run faster - but just look at the speed you are trying to run your intervals.

Good luck

03/06/2012 at 21:30

Thanks Grendel, you're probably right in saying I'm going to fast, I've had a problem with training pace since I started. First year or so I was running everything at race pace, now managed to slow that down so will give this a try. I'll try your suggestion of 90 sec sections. I can only find time for 4 runs a week but will try this on one of these.

cheers.

03/06/2012 at 21:36

Hi Nelly. As you've only been running for 2 years you can definitely get faster - a lot faster if you maintain a structured training plan similar to Grendel's suggestion.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.