trail runs

5 messages
28/07/2013 at 12:08

Hi Everybody

First time posting on RW Forum, I have pulled off a 1/2 marathon schedule from RW for 1.30 finish time ,I live in the lake district which is Great  but there is no flat runs ,how much should I allow extra in time per mile for trails and hills to match the times on the schedule?

28/07/2013 at 16:15

It's a string length problem alas. I guess you need  do the required paces on a flat bit of road, and get a feel for the percieved effort / heart rate, and then use these as the metrics for your trail runs.

28/07/2013 at 16:38

Depends on the terrain.  My 'normal' easy pace is about 8min/mile on roads, but along the footpaths or leafy Warwickshire it drops to around 9, though this does include time spent faffing with the dog.

Iimagine a hilly lake district route would be slower still.

I have tried off road tempo runs with a hr monitor and found my pace about 40s slower. Have you tried using a hr monitor? The Garmin schedules are available to download based on hr rather than pace.You'l

l still probably struggle with intervals though unless you find a nice flat section of road ir track.

28/07/2013 at 19:46

Thanks Ian & Lou

Not used a hr monitor before but my garmin 305 does have one so really  need to give it a go, are they easy to use?

30/07/2013 at 09:14

They are fairly simple.  You need to do a HRMax test to get your training zones correct, but after that it's quite straightforward but takes a bit of trial and error to set up your watch display appropriately.  I tend to go on average heartrate per 1 mile lap, but if the terrain is very variable you might want to use shorter lap or even real time HR.  Just the same as running by pace I guess.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.