Train like a racehorse

21 to 26 of 26 messages
15/01/2003 at 12:58
Haven't seen anything so far that suggests racing yourself fit won't work. It's probably not the perfect way to prepare but we don't all have the time, or inclination, to spend on the ideal training schedule so the race effectively forms part of that schedule and provides the motivation to try hard. The downside could be that you need to organise a period with travel and costs when you race at least one race a week for several weeks but if you enjoy racing that's not too much of a problem.
Like everything else in this game, it will suit some people so if if it works for you then go for it.
JJ
15/01/2003 at 13:06
I like the idea of training at target race pace until you can't go any further, then aiming to increase how far you get at the same pace each time.

Very tempted to try it to see if it works.
15/01/2003 at 13:45
The great Australian runner from the 1960s, Ron Clarke, was a big fan of racing to get fit. He would basically run tonnes and tonnes of miles during the winter and them come to Europe in the Summer and compete in loads of races from 1500m up to 10k - often racing 2-3 times a week.

In case you weren't aware Ron Clarke was the first man to run under 28mins for 10k - he actually smashed the previous record running 27.40 (on a cinder track). Those were the days...
15/01/2003 at 13:50
If you can do times like that on two runs a week NN then I'd suggest there's a genetic element there as well. Can't remember where I heard it, but it was some stat like 80% is genetic, 20% is training.

A bit like racehorses again - they get together the best horses.

If Queen Paula and Khalid K had a sprog, it would probably run a marathon in about sub1:30!
15/01/2003 at 14:44
It might just nod its head quicker.
JJ
15/01/2003 at 19:11
My 18 yr old son can run 5k off his twice a week football training in just under 18 mins. I'm always amazed by his natural speed (used to be an excellent 400m runner in school, where he never seemed to train for a race, just did it!)and how he can do this kind of distance with such little effort. If only he liked running enough to trian..........

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.