Training advice for next half

10 messages
06/07/2010 at 21:36

Hi all.

I'm planning to do the Macclesfield 1/2 in approx 12 weeks. After completing the Brighton marathon in April and peaking at 40 mpw I had intended to spend the summer building a good mileage base. However, after PBing in my recent 10k without doing any speedwork, I feel I want to incorporate some specific speed training in the buildup to this half to see how well I can do.

Essentially, the question I'm asking is should I incorporate a weekly 1/2 specific speed session into my training but continue to increase my weekly mileage? Or would this sabotage a good attempt on the half? I usually use Bob Glover's training schedules but the weekly mileage is lower than where I'm at.

Any insight would be fabulous as I don't really know what I'm doing!

Background:

Running since Sept 08. Recent 10k PB = 45:37. Current mileage= 45mpw and trying to build.

Running 5-6 x per week. 

Edited: 06/07/2010 at 21:46
JPenno    pirate
06/07/2010 at 21:46
Having done this race  a few times I would suggest doing some hill work rather than speed work, it is an undulating course.
06/07/2010 at 21:48
Ok, so a hill work session once a week? No hills in south manchester so it'll have to be a treadmill session.
06/07/2010 at 21:51
I think there's room for both, or at least alternate weekly.  Either way you will only improve. 
06/07/2010 at 21:53
x post...if you're in South Manchester could you get over to Macc or Stockport?
06/07/2010 at 21:54
Actually stockport's viable. Apparently Vernon Park area is suitable. I don't drive but I do cycle so I could get over there if only once a week.
JPenno    pirate
06/07/2010 at 22:53
Mr P - are you doing this one?
07/07/2010 at 13:25
Veester, I'm doing an October half and experimenting with the theory that if you're aiming for 100 mins or less (which with your recent 10K you should be) then you should train for the half like a 10K. So I'm doing a weekly speed session broadly nicked from Greg Macmillan's perfect 10K speedwork plan - as it has a focus on long reps - and I will throw in some longer tempo runs as well to extend it to fit the time available. I'll also do a weekly long run obviously, peaking at 16-18 miles. Overall though the increase in my weekly mileage will be pretty modest.
07/07/2010 at 16:47
That's interesting Wobbled...I might give something like that a go, although my predicted half time is more along the lines of 1:41 based on the 10k.
07/07/2010 at 22:00
JP I plan to..but it is the week before the sandstone trail race, and I remember how hard it was doing Congleton the following week the year I did both so I will probably take it easy. I'd hate to miss it, it does generate a great atmosphere.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.