Training after giving blood

6 messages
05/12/2002 at 18:52
anyone know how long it takes to recover fully after giving blood. I assumed 24hrs as that's what the nurse said but todays run made me think it must be longer as I was unusually lethargic (gave away blood yesterday). Perhaps it was the free biscuits!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/12/2002 at 20:13
i took 3-4 days but then i am a newbie!!
06/12/2002 at 00:16
You've got to replace the red blood cells not just the fluid. I seemed to run like a drain for two or three months after giving blood but I was probably just being lazy.

I still reckon it must take at least a week otherwise the runners who used to go in for blood doping would just have had a pint removed one day and then stuffed it back in the next before a world record attempt.
06/12/2002 at 08:11
There are already several threads on this subject, but here is a summary:
It takes 24-48 hours to replace the VOLUME of blood donated, but the full 100% recovery takes much longer, appx 1 month. These are my recovery times:
Steady Runs = next day onwards.
Brisk runs = one week later
Interval sessions = 1-2 weeks
Full training (long runs & intervals) = 2 weeks
Race = 2 weeks if I'm not too bothered about a good time.
Race = 4 weeks if I want a good result.
Martin.
06/12/2002 at 08:37
I gave blood last week and my mates at work (supposed scientists) reckoned i should be ok running the next day so i did and i was completely knackered. I felt like i was running at altitude or something. Anyway, been for 3 runs this week so far and feeling back to normal now. I would personally recommend two or three days of no running to give your body a chance to recover.
06/12/2002 at 08:44
I also asked when I gave blood for the first time a few weeks ago, and was told not to do anything strenuous for 24 hours, but was told for my next run to take it easy and see how I felt. I ended up not even doing my next scheduled run because I woke up with a terrible headache. Anyway, it felt like a good week and a half before I seemed to recover properly. Also they told me not to give blood 2 weeks either side of doing a race.
Also from previous threads it seemed that bigger people recovered quicker than smaller people.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.