Training after injury

4 messages
19/03/2013 at 19:41

Ive been running with slight discomfort in my calfs for a few weeks. On sunday I ran a half marathon and pulled up 1/2 mile from the end and managed to hobble over the line. It feels like a strain. If I take  a 2 week rest, icing, stretching and using my foam roller could I go back to my marathon training of 30+ miles a week or should I forget the marathon which is in may.

Any advice would be a great help thanks 

19/03/2013 at 19:57

With injuries its a case of 'They are what they are', 'it takes what it takes'.

You cannot place a time constant on something that is essentially a variable.

What you can do is adopt a Rehabilitation program in the same way as a training program. 

Take one step at a time and given time and treatment the problems will be gradually resolved. 

The toughest part of the process is never knowing how long it will take. 

I consider how a runner reacts to and deals with injury as a much greater test of character than participation in a mere race.

19/03/2013 at 20:42

Like RicF says, it's a how long is a piece of string problem. I did mine 2 weeks ago, I tried to run at the weekend and managed about 1 pace before I knew it wasn't going to work. Maybe next week i'll be a bit more lucky, maybe not.

20/03/2013 at 18:40

Thanks to both of you, like you say i`ll just have to wait until its ready. There will be other races to do later.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.