Training between half marathons

3 messages
19/09/2012 at 15:19

Hi there

I've just completed the Great North Run (16th Sept 2012) after following a 12 weeks plan (averaging around 25 miles a week). This was my second half marathon: eveything went pretty much to plan (although finished 10 mins slower than planed partly due to congestion!) and i feel a little sore but not injured. I am planing to enter a local half marathon on 14th October 2012.

What would be a suitable training plan for the next 3 and a bit weeks?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Scott

19/09/2012 at 16:26

If it was me, I'd repeat the last few weeks of the plan.  This probably means this week (i.e 4 weeks before the event) would be one of the harder weeks, so I wouldn't follow it rigidly if feeling a bit sore.  e.g. If it says a speed session on Thurs, i might do less intervals or if it had a 8m slow run I'd cut it back to 4 or 5miles.

NB This isn't from experience as I've not run two half-marathons in close proximity, but you don't have very much time to recover & improve, so I think your aim should be to sustain your current level of fitness.  

24/09/2012 at 10:00

Thanks Stutyr for you answer - sounds logical!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.