Training for half marathon.

201 to 210 of 210 messages
10/10/2011 at 09:36

Well done, Muddy!

No, the hills weren't vertical.... but I'd say they were pretty relentless! They just seemed to go on forever!

I limped round in 2:18, which, given the injury to my left knee and the subsequent lack of training over the last three weeks, I was actually pretty pleased with. I'm in a fair amount of agony now, though!

Oh, and as it was my first HM, I set a PB!!!!

10/10/2011 at 23:12
Well done MuddyPaws and Sandy the Womble.

I did the Royal Parks Half in 2:07:52, mildly disappointed as I was hoping for under two hours but it was a great race and a lovely day. I was doing well up to mile 6 which I reached in 52 minutes but then my legs decided I should slow down
The race is well organised and well supported as 12,500 take part. They SMS you your race chip time as you cross the line! It is ballot entry.

Sore legs today but plenty of time to recover for the Brooks Brighton 10k in November then the London Marathon Training begins in December!

11/10/2011 at 00:41
Hey guys,

Did my first Half Marathon in Henley last Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Managed to do it in 1:33:10 which I was pretty happy about. Want to break through the 1:30 barrier next time. Has anyone got any suggestions of a good half I could sign up to before winter time properly kicks in?

Also, does any of you lovely people know about a running club in North London? I am based in East Finchley and would like to join one to improve my training even further. Am a 25 old, 6ft 3 male (not sure whether that matters or not )

Thanks

Alex
11/10/2011 at 09:46

Cheers Charlie!

Coincidentally, I was chatting to someone on Sunday evening who had done the Royal Parks (she was still wearing her medal, too!) and she said she's really enjoyed it. She showed me the map - it looks really good.

Edit: erm, I meant the route looks really good, not the map. Although the map was quite good as well. 

Edited: 11/10/2011 at 09:58
11/10/2011 at 15:32

AW - Gossport or Poppy (Bexhill) or Barns Green

Grand Union Canal, Uxbridge.

Running clubs - try England athletics site - go along to a couple of clubs, chat them up and see what they have to offer.

Sorry, not much to offer in terms of information I'm afraid.

SoW.

11/10/2011 at 16:57
The Poppy HM is flat, 4 times round a loop and is meant to be good for a PB ! I've entered it to see how close to 2 hrs I can get.....
11/10/2011 at 22:42
judging by the other Hm you've run I'm sure you'll hit 2hrs easily.
12/10/2011 at 10:28
Hi Kity,

Thanks a lot for your help.
Actually had a look at the Uxbridge race already, probably going to sign up for that one.
Has anyone here ever done it?

12/10/2011 at 21:55

Lots of good racing in here recently. I ran my second half at the weekend, and was enormously pleased to go sub 2:30, knocking 10 minutes off my PB.

Next one is in 6 weeks, so need to get up and going quickly to get some training in for that. Sub 2:25 must be a target... Tried a little run last night - just 3 miles - and found that everything was still working, which was good news! Aiming to get out & do at least 6 this weekend.

12/10/2011 at 22:27

already said it elsewhere but congrats on the PB HL.

My HM - both actually were pants. Very dismal and nowhere near target. I think the cold got the better of me and I wasn't sufficiently recovered for the second race.

I shall attempt another at some point in the future when I can train properly and be fit for the race. Right now it's xc season and I think I have a race every weekend between now and Feb.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
201 to 210 of 210 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.