Training for Stockholm Marathon after injury

2 messages
23/01/2013 at 17:51

Hi all!

I recently fell in love with running and have quickly become a keen and enthusiastic runner who has slowly built up her strength and fitness. I began following a 16-week training plan in September in order to run Stockholm Marathon on June 1st (I wanted to ensure that I had plenty of room for getting my fitness level and strength up and already had a fairly solid running base).

Then at the start of November I got a slight injury on one of the adductor muscles (I think, it was in the groin area, high up on the inside of my leg) which, stupidly I continued to run on, twice! After this I was unable to run for two months. I visited a physio who recommended strengthening exercises which I have been doing but I was unable to do any other type of training during this two-month break (he also assured me that it would take about 6 weeks to get up to my original fitness level). One week ago I completed my first (8km) run without any pain or discomfort.

So, my question, how should I progress in my training? Pre-injury a typical week consisted of one interval-training session, one hill-running session, two medium long runs (10-15km) plus one longer run (around 25km, the longest was 28km).  I am keen to find out my baseline by seeing how far I can manage running comfortably in order to see whereabouts I am on my training plan but am slightly nervous about re-injuring myself!

I have my heart set on running the marathon in 17 weeks time so it is not an option for me to back out.

Any help/advice/words of support are really appreciated as it has been more than a little tough being away from running for so long and it seems as though I have a long road ahead of me!

Thanks!

26/01/2013 at 17:25

I'm no expert, but I would just start with one of the 16 week training plans, as if you're starting from new. You've got the time to do it that way.

I'm also doing Stockholm!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.