Training Paces

4 messages
29/09/2002 at 14:59
Advice required. I would like to improve my 5k and 10k times. To do a 5k in 30 mins it is recomended a Tempo pace run of 10.35 per mile and intervals of 140sec for 400 and 69 secs for 200. At present I can run these distances much faster but haven't done a 30 min 5k or a 60 min 10k, what am I doing wrong? I am currently on track to complete the GNR and then want to improve my times for shorter events next year, do I need to slow down in my speed sessions and increase tempo running or look at endurance.
30/09/2002 at 09:24
Nothing useful to add Jane, but the times did look a bit odd to me too. The long run seemed incredibly slow and the tempo etc very do-able rather than challenging. Made me wonder whether I should be aiming for a faster time! I haven't done a race yet so it's hard for me to know where to pitch. Wisdom required, please!
30/09/2002 at 09:32
Would have thought that to do these kind of times for 5/10k you don't need to look at anything very formal at all. For a 5k, if you just do (say) a 40min session where you warm up for 10 mins and then do 20mins at a somewhat brisker pace (or 2x10mins with a minute between), followed by 10 mins cool down, it should lead to the right kind of results.

The only thing I would add is that long runs *should* be slow.
01/10/2002 at 18:44
To Glenn, thanks for you advice on Tempo running. Unfortunately speed doesn't come naturally and I thought even a slow runner like me could benefit from more "formal" speed sessions. Today I did 4 times 400/200 sessions as outlined in the RW article with a 5 min break after half the session. Kept the efforts to medium due to GNR this Sunday, went for it at last 400 and did a PB. My times were well within the times mentioned for a 30 min 5k. Didn't feel too tired afterwards.

Maybe I need to look at my race strategies. I do tend to set off very steadily.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.