Training Plan In Between races

5 messages
07/06/2010 at 15:04
Hi everyone.

Please forgive if this has been asked before.

I am on a Half Marathon training schedule for a race I've have entered (Aug 1 2010). Training going well.

My question is, what do I do after the race? My next event is (hopefully) the VLM 2011. (I moving house so don't want to enter races in an area I might no longer be living in).

Should I just keep repeating the last 4 weeks of my HM plan until the full marathon training plan start date is reached? Or should I repeat the first 4 weeks of the full marathon plan until I am in synch?

Or should I just run for fun at the risk of getting bored with no focus?

Cheers in advance for all replies.

07/06/2010 at 15:06
Enter some more races and train with one eye on them aswell as your long term goal! I`d even consider racing a 10k 3 or 4 weeks before your HM.
07/06/2010 at 16:00

Repeating plans runs the risk of burnout so you have to train to maintain both fitness and interest.  You also have (probably) summer hols, Christmas, house move...

You might maintain interest by having intermediate goals such as races, otherwise you might have other goals which you can keep an eye on.  These could be whatever you like!  Whatever they are though, you have a fitness base which you should improve, but at the least you should not lose.  Try to keep long runs and easy runs and drop any intervals/speedwork/hillwork from your routine for straight after the HM, until you do have a race to plan to.  Try to increase your mileage over these slower paced runs in the coming months, and you'll be way ahead of your VLM plan.

Whatever, don't worry if you skip a run or two or three.  Rest first, recover, then take stock.

10/06/2010 at 21:05
You could google a bit for maintenance running training, e.g. http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=5835&PageNum=1. For shorter periods of a few weeks between races, Hal Higdon's website has some multiple marathon training suggestions.
Edited: 10/06/2010 at 21:07
11/06/2010 at 14:19

I try to do a race once a fortnight.  I don't expect to PB them all and categorise each as an A, B or C race

A - long term target eg VLM (warrents full taper and specific preparation).  The B & C races will be chosen to aid preparation for an "A" race

B- Will try to do well - probably take a day off training before hand to be a bit fresher

C - Essentially a tough tempo run with the benefit of others around me for motivation.  No change to normal training before or after

most small/ local races don't fill up too quickly so you should know where you're living in time to get your entries in.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.