Training with a 3-wheeler

4 messages
Vic
16/11/2002 at 11:13
I've been running with a 3-wheeler for 9 months now (daughter is 1). Last week I ran round Richmond Park in the driving rain - but I got to run and the baby got to sleep! What's the furthest that anyone runs with a 3-wheeler? What do you do about speed training? Any tips on technique (ie one hand or two...)?
16/11/2002 at 13:20
Hi Vic,

Iv'e never done any training other than recovery runs with my son, up to an hour/7 miles gentle running. I think doing speed sessions might be a bit dangerous.

For me, I find 2 hands is fine but I guese you just adapt to what suits you. There are some on the forums who've enterd 1/2 marathons pushing a 3 wheeler but I think my 2 year old might gat a bit board.

In case you feel like it, the unofficial world record for pushing a baby on a 1/2 marathon course is 1.31. Apparaently they wont make it official as it's deemed too dangerous!
16/11/2002 at 20:29
I ran with a 3 wheeler for a few years. I found speed training too tricky as my feet kicked the bottom. I also found it tricky to run with one hand, but then I was a beginner and didnt run until after I had the baby. As you say, its better to be out than in. One problem I did find and particularly with my second child who was one when I moved to Scotland, was the cold.

I wasnt able to run much in the winter as I couldnt keep him warm enough.
17/11/2002 at 18:02
I run with a 3 wheeler & my daughter of 2 accepts it as her normal daily routine. I have mastered one handed running,running in the rain & hill work.I have lost over 2 stone in 8 months.I run with 2 other ladies, one with a 3 wheeler the other with a double 3 wheeler, we do get alot of funny looks when out together but we love it! The furthest I have ran with the pram is 10 miles in thepouring rain, it was great. Don't give up.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.