treadmill

7 messages
27/01/2013 at 11:15
Can treadmills other than when the weather is really bad help with long distance training and if so how, what sort of programs do people use them for I prefer running outdoors but since I have a gym membership am looking at ways to use the treadmill in my 4 times a week running program for marathon training
28/01/2013 at 15:23

There is no problem with using a treadmill as part of training. Its a forgiving surface to run on, so can be useful where you need to get off the tarmac / concrete when the fields and footpaths are a no go. Provided you harden yourself up to running long distances on roads, then there is no reason not to use a treadmill as part of training, other than the boredom aspect.

I have done a few interval sessions recently on the treadmill and its worked out really well for me. I have also done some tempo, fartlek and progressive runs that were good. Long runs at a constant pace have no interest for me on the treadmill - just too mindnumbing.

You could also do short recovery runs while at the gym to help with the training.

28/01/2013 at 17:46
Thanks for that I use them for tempo/hill work and on the plus side at the gym I can do some swimming or weights afterwards
30/01/2013 at 21:34

I'm looking to buy a treadmill for the days I can't get out because of family commitments -  normally I would run on the roads.

PSC    pirate
31/01/2013 at 07:19

tempo, hills, recovery all possible.  Always have it up one notch to simulate outside then the world is your oyster....  I don't do the telly thing with treadies - you don't concentrate on the training IMHO so it becomes an active telly session not a training run.  I love my treadie in this weather....

24/02/2013 at 15:49
I've bought a treadmill as I have a long commute so I can't get to the gym before work and sometimes I have to work late. I enjoy training on the treadmill in the week and appreciate running outside so much more on the weekend
24/02/2013 at 16:17

I bought one in November as an alternative and enjoy doing intervals on it. Sometimes my shift work means running at unsociable hours so the treadmill has been great for that. I actually find the treadmill is harder than running outside so figure it must be doing me some good..

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.