Treadmills advise from the experianced please

5 messages
26/06/2012 at 21:39

I live in a hilly part of the country and find it difficult to run for even a mile without coming across a hill. For my normal training this is fine I have come to enjoy them.

But when it comes to speedwork the hills make it difficult, It is impossible to run at a constant fast speed unless I just run up and down the same road. I reallly don't like treadmills as I am not sure how close to actual street running they are, it does seem alot easier to run on a treadmill for example 10k with a 1.5% incline easy 44 mins on a treadmill, on the street this would be 9/10 effort for me.

Do experiance runners use treadmills, what the best tips?

Today I tried a 400m session on a treadmill. 400m@17kph 12 times with a 1 minute recovery @11kph. Is this wasting my time and unlikely to have the disired effect which is to get my HM time down and if that also helps my 5k time that would be a bonus.

What would you reccommend street running and allow a slower pace for the hills or more treadmill work.

ps i run 5-6 times a week and speed work is 2 of runs-I would never run a LSR or steady run on a tredmill

26/06/2012 at 22:34

I know that plenty of top coaches get their athletes to do some work on the treadmill, I think the max figure though is around 30%, the rest  should be on the road/track.

Personally I use the treadmill to do hill repeat workouts since it's much more convenient to do hill intervals on a treadmill and vary the recovery, something you can't do with a real hill since you need to run down what you've run up.

As you said, a 1-1.5% incline should replicate outside running conditions, as long as the treadmill is properly calibrated.

26/06/2012 at 22:54

I certainly don't think faster sessions on the treadmill are a waste of time.  They're good for leg turnover, the running action isn't millions of miles away from what you do outside, and you can always use HR/perceived effort to see whether you're working at comparable levels.  But I think there's a lot to be said for practising fast running outdoors by running fast outdoors.  Is there any flat route within 2/3 miles that you can measure out and use?  Whether it's a park, around a football pitch, section of dual carriageway  ... whatever, as long as it's within a sensible warm-up/cool-down distance from home, you can do intervals pretty much anywhere.

27/06/2012 at 08:51

I think running up and down the same road is probably more interesting than running on a treadmill.  But treadmills are incredibly useful for interval training because of the preset speeds and times.  If you can't get to a track, a treadmill can be a distant second best.

But this doesn't mean that you can't do speedwork outside in a hilly area.  I live in a very hilly area.  I had major trouble finding level ground to train for a flat marathon.  But for HMs I find the hills fine.  Hill sprints are great, finding a set distance up and jogging back down.  Kenyan hills work in a field not far from my home.  Fartlek is almost a necessity for many longer runs.  If I want an even effort I wear my HM (though I can do it by PE now) and control the uphills.  If I want a stronger effort I challenge the hills and rest downwards.  Listen to the Kenyans - to paraphrase "we don't have gyms, we have hills."

27/06/2012 at 22:10

Thanks for the replies.

After the 12*400 on the treamill yesterday, did what should have been a easy 5m with  a quick 2m in the middle today-felt slow and heavy legs, wonder if the treadmill work took more out of me than i thought?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.