Treadmills

11 messages
20/09/2002 at 10:59
Tim

I have been using a treadmill for a number of years - mostly during the winter and regard them as extremely useful. I think the price range you quote is on the optimistic side i.e. for someone running at your pace you would need to spend (probably) over 1,500 pounds.

Basically, the saying is true for anything, you get what you pay for. As a general guide you need to be taking the following into account:

1. How fast it is.
2. As well as looking at speed you should also look at power of the motor (in the same way that you would in a car - generally bigger is better as the treadmill will run more smoothly)
2. Does it have tilt (preferably automatic)
3. Is it programmable (and are there any preset programmes).

Under 1,000 pounds may limit you to 8 mph. Basically a jogging machine (no offence to anyone intended).

Between 1,000 and 2,000 pounds you are looking at a reasonable quality home machine which will have a good range of features and probably a speed of up to 10 mph (my current machine falls in this range).

Between 2,000 and 3,000 you are getting into the top end of the home machines with speeds of up to 12.5 mph. These will also have the all singing all dancing programmes.

Over 3000 pounds and you are talking gym quality equipment.

The speed is very important as you will find that tradmill running can be very boring and therefore you need to do faster sessions (tempo or intervals) to keep the interest levels up and for this a sub-1000 pound machine will not give you a high enough speed level - ergo you will get bored and it will go the way of all running machines and end up in the garage. Personally I have mine set up in front of the television which helps keep my interest up.

In short I have never regretted buying a treadmill and am currently looking for a new one on which I expect to spend about 2,500 pounds - with that sort of spend though you have to be sure that you want one and also have a very understanding wife! PS - I have not yet identified any treadmills with inbuilt ironing board.

20/09/2002 at 13:04
I bought a Precor something or other for about £800 new nearly three years ago. It has tilt (although it doesn't say what % you're up to) and goes fast enough for me although I take the actual pace reading as an indication only as I just KNOW it's wrong. However, it's useful to have when it's raining, I stick on some music or listen to the radio and it's fine. I also use a treadmill in the gym at work for my interval sessions because I just can't do these outdoors - pace judgement is c&&p - and my hill sessions as well.
20/09/2002 at 13:16
A friend lent me her treadmill when I was training for London.

It takes up endless space and is an eyesore even when folded (and heavy to move around). It creaks and whines - somehow, those noises don't matter in a gym. Its electricity consumption is probably phenomenal. The kids keep trying to have a go on it (they call it a "running board").

I'm not surprised my friend makes an excuse every time I offer to return it to her.

I regard my £500 a year gym subscription well worthwhile if it means being able to use a treadmill without having to share a house with it.
WildWill    pirate
20/09/2002 at 13:45
I pay £20 a month for a Newcastle City Health club(s) membership - which gets me into numerous Gyms and pools to use their equipment – a fair price to pay I think

Will
20/09/2002 at 13:49
Tim - I would of course be happy to sell you my old treadmill at a very reasonable price, however I suspect that the round trip for you from England to Germany to collect it might make the purchase somewhat uneconomical!

V-rap does raise a good point - I am not a member of a gym so I justify the cost by offsetting the gym costs. In addition, I have had this treadmill for about 7 years, so the annual cost has been minimal (especially after taking into account the amount saved on ruining expensive kit running through mud!).

In winter there's nothing like it - running in just shorts when its minus 15 outside whilst watching a good footy match!
20/09/2002 at 14:02
Hi Tim,
I bought my treadmill online from

www.treadmillsonline.co.uk

The machine I got goes up to 10mph with an auto-incline of 10%

This cost 650 quid (pound signs stopped working on my keyboard!)and is about the cheapest I could find for this speed.

I have been using it for around 6mths with no problems.

Also,if doing speedwork,adjusting to a steeper incline gives a workout relevant to a higher speed.for example a 6min mile pace at 10% incline requires the same effort as a 4:48min mile on the flat.

www.trinewbies.com/2runtreadchart.htm

The site above shows effort based charts which compare treadmill running to training on the road.These are of great use,especially when you get towards your t'mills top speed.
cougie    pirate
20/09/2002 at 15:10
Look under gear on thw website where they have reviewed treadmills.
You have to be a subscriber though :

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?SP=&v=5&UAN=499

What about using a bike on a turbo trainer if you are intent on getting a good workout (cardio at least) - that would be cheaper - £200 for the trainer.
20/09/2002 at 15:48
:-) Tim,

Cant find the 'off' button!

They do interest free over 12mths so it's not too bad.
20/09/2002 at 15:58
Tim - the alternative option is to go the DiY route, for this you will need:

Two bricks.
A piece of firm plywood.
A pair of rollerskates.

Place the plywood on the bricks - jump on - run like buggary.

For a hill session - try placing the plywood on a window sill.
20/09/2002 at 16:01
I have seen 'unpowered' treadmills on sale.
Do these work on the hamster theory?
20/09/2002 at 16:02
BTW Tim,
Have you considered incline ironing as an alternative upper body workout?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.