Trying to improve 10km time (sub 50mins)

5 messages
03/04/2013 at 19:08

Hi

I've been running for a few years and tend to do about 10-15 miles a week. I'm trying to improve my 10km time and have recently started doing intervals on the treadmill once a week in the hope that this might help. My current best for 10km is 52mins and i'd like to try and go under 50 in the next few months.

What are the best intervals to increase speed for this kind of distance? Currently I am doing 5 x 3min @ 14kph and 2 min @ very slow jog/walk. I had tried do jog at 10kph for the slow part but found i could only manage 3 repeats.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Stu

08/04/2013 at 18:08

Get out and run some hills. Hills are speedwork in disguise 

08/04/2013 at 18:10

Hi Crippso, over the last few months I have been training to try and reduce my 5k time by doing 3 or 4 repeats of one mile at 90% effort with 2.30mins rest in between. I ran a 10k recently and finished in 47:41 - which was an improvement on my previous 10k race times (which were all usually around 50 minutes). I also felt really good until about 8k - where as in the past I have started feeling the pain at about 3k! I suggest you running a one mile time trial as fast as you can, and then running your one mile intervals at about 1-1.5 minute per mile slower than this. 

08/04/2013 at 21:01

Thanks Lucy, I'll give the mile repeats a go - sounds like they really worked for you! When you say 2.30 mins rest between, do you mean like a really slow jog or walk?

Feral, cheers for the hint about hills.. its pretty flat round here. There are a few 'hills' but they only take about 30 seconds to jog up. This any good or do i need to dig out my OS map to search for something more challenging?

09/04/2013 at 12:19

I personally stood completely still and rested, although i'm sure jog recoveries are better for you!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.