Tuesday 15th November

21 to 40 of 92 messages
15/11/2005 at 08:36
aggghhh. the bit i'm typing does not appear. bloody html.
JM.
15/11/2005 at 08:51
Morning

What: 6.75 steady miles
Why: Need 2 days recovery from LR

Last Hard: 2 days
Last Rest: 4 days

BR, you should take your new friend down to the track, he could have potential over the shorter distances;-)

----
IronMelissa    pirate
15/11/2005 at 08:52
Morning,

Mava - nice to hear you sounding more positive. Your splits and HR looked nice and steady to me, with the 6&7 being typical tough bits. I think the pacer idea is great though - what do you think?

What: 40 swim and 60 turbo.
Why: need to swim and want to try new turbo
Last hard: forgotten
Last rest: Thurs

Haven't run for a few days but I had a little niggle and wanted to rest it, so have stomped on my usual practice of 'I feel like doing something: I know, I'll go running' and kept it quiet. Long run tomorrow, so we'll see.
debbo    pirate
15/11/2005 at 08:59
Mel - those IM experts over on the other side would say an hour was a lot for a first turbo session... having said that I think I did 30 minutes the first time and then moved up to 45 and yesterday I did 1.5 hours because it was too windy to go out on the bike. I kept the resistance low though.
IronMelissa    pirate
15/11/2005 at 09:02
Thanks Debbo - I will put the tv on and see how I go, but at least now will not feel bad if I get off after 30 mins!
debbo    pirate
15/11/2005 at 09:07
The worst thing is the sweating - make sure you mop it off your bike afterwards - it's bad for the paintwork!!
15/11/2005 at 09:10
Morning.

What: 7 x 800m, off 1min recovery

Why: speed

Last hard: last thursday

Last rest: sunday

Train well
15/11/2005 at 09:26
morning,

my first post in here after lots of lurking.. Mel, just keep the HR nice and low and if you can deal with the boredom you will be fine ! I love my turbo...

What: 3x5km @ 172 HR at track, and no doubt annoying all the 400m rep'ers
Why: HR drift test and aerobic work session
Last hard: Sunday
Last rest: not sure, but ages ago
15/11/2005 at 09:41
Morning

What: Crazy Sporty Day today, AM 44K bike (28k on veledrome/track with tri club and rest there and back), then 8K very easy run (ended up with bad stitch, not had that for ages and walked quite a it). PM First ever club run, was very very scared but it wasn't as bad as I though, no way I could keep up with the others but we were all in the same area of the park doing our different bits so kept passing by people and saying hi which was nice.
Why: Good question - tired now, going to bed as swimming at 6am tomorrow
Last Hard: Sunday's 10K race, although the cumulative effects of todays sessions made the day pretty tough. Still, just making the most of not working at the moment as it's not going to last!

WP, you're too modest about your achievements, you must have been pretty pleased with 5th place!!

Thanks for all the well dones on my 10K. I was very pleased, official result is 59.02 so not too much work to do now to gate 58 something. Have a good day all of you.
15/11/2005 at 09:42
Welcome Cartman.

BR - like your new training partner. The toilet stops obviously helped him get a bit of interval training in.

Just back from a fantastic biking weekend in Afan_Forest_Park (S.Wales). Just right for marathon recovery and a short break from running.

Saturday: 46km bike - Skyline Trail
Sunday: 23km bike - Wall Trail
Monday: 15km bike - Cwmcarn Trail
Today: Sports massage
Why: Monthly massage
Last hard: Yesterday
Last rest: Friday

Hope everyone raced well at the weekend.
15/11/2005 at 09:56
Morning All,

Sorry haven't had time to read back through yesterdays thread...bit busy at home! Well raced at the weekend to those that did.

Thanks for all the congrats and good wishes.

Managed a 5 miler last night. Running will be fitted in somewhere this week as will my posting on here.

Run well all.

15/11/2005 at 09:56
Morning

Welcome Cartman.

Hilly- I couldn't brave wearing a crop top in summer, let alone now! not because of the weather though;)

RHGDU- hectic day! it's hard to take things easy when you suddenly have more time on your hands.

what: rest day
why: only had 1 rest day last week, have ran 3 days since and planning on 5k time trial friday so 'trying' not to get too carried away before then!

I seem to have progressed into not needing 2 rest days a week and quite comfortable to run much more than usual at the moment:) however, don't want to fall into overdoing it trap and end up injured!
mellifera    pirate
15/11/2005 at 10:04
Morning All,

What: am -10 miles with 6 at 7:35 pace
Why: LT
Last hard: sunday
Last rest: 15 May

Today's six miles tempo were barely slower than Sunday's 10km. This is familar - I'm able to run quite fast quite often - recovering well but have trouble pushing myself really hard. I think it's partly mental and partly because I lack basic speed. Be interesting to see what happens next year when I do fewer miles but faster and with more races.

Lots of photos at Rich K's.

Mava - I do know how you feel ( training more but not seeing much improvement). But don't give up - just take it easy and learn to enjoy it again without pressure. I really think Stickless was right - it's easy to fall in to the trap of working too hard after a disappointing race to try to redeem yourself when really you need to back off as you would if you'd had a great race. Minks had some good ideas - leave the watch at home for a while. The runnning free cycling holiday might refresh you quite a bit.

Tia - good run, well done.

FL - I didn't register until after I had passed you. The hat had me fooled but you spoke to us ('Well done' type thing) and a few seconds later I registered your voice.

Hilly - thanks. Luton is less than three weeks away.

Scooby - I wouldn't expect to feel sick all the way! Just over the last half a mile of so. And cycling/tri shorts really are essential!

Lizzy - really so sorry to hear about your ankle - it must be so frustrating. I hope it isn't as bad as it was before and you recover quickly because I just can't see you as a knitter.

JM - I'd missed that you were doing Luton too - hope to see you there. David F and Hippo will be there too.

WP - good pics - I do like your vest. Did I spot Tom too in a Nene Valley Harrier vest?

Pammie - get well soon!

Sportaloo - if the 20 miler is really just training run done at long run pace (perhaps a little faster at the end but no more) for a marathon then 16 miles this saturday is fine. But if you want to see how you can do then I'd suggest doing a bit less than 16 - perhaps 12?

SCS - sounds horrid! Enjoy your evening.

Debbo - glad he's OK

Cartmen - welcome in!
15/11/2005 at 10:11
Morning all,

Haven't been around for a few days. Suffering from cold, swollen throat, etc, etc

WP, great result.

Tom, brilliant that you're getting back an almost acceptable level of fitness.

Over the past week I've not done much and anything I have done has been at a very easy pace. 7 or 8 miles easy planned for today.
SGQ
15/11/2005 at 10:19
Morning all,

Welcome Cartman.

Quick post from work - should really be something else (i.e. what I am paid for!)

What: 4 miles this morning
Why: Out this evening
Last hard: Sat
Last rest: Yesterday

Later.
15/11/2005 at 10:26
Paul, many thanks for trying.

Another option is mail me possibly,

Cheers mate

Welcome Cartman

15/11/2005 at 10:27
Mel - an hour on the turbo first time - as others have said keep a towel handy for the sweat. I wrap a tea towel around the top tube and drape a bath towel over the bars - I'd keep a couple of litres of water within reach and the TV remote too if I were you - and use a HRM because it's that boring you need something to motivate you.

What - went out at 6am for 24 mile bike ride over the hills - dark, damp and very windy up on the top though it's now a lovely sunny day. Going out for a steady 25 mile ride this evening probably with club mates.
15/11/2005 at 10:44
Popsider, have you read Graeme Obree's book, Flying Scotsman?

A bike ride at 6am shows extreme motivation! Bet you can't wait until next year.
15/11/2005 at 11:04
Morning

Debbo - Hope hubby continues to recover well

ICRAM - Congrats

Hilly - Gillet and a crop top! - I'm in my thermals already, I feel the cold so badly!

What: 30 mins on the turbno trainer a.m. - first time this year. Cycle to and from work (10 miles), and climbing wall tonight

Popsider - 6.00 a.m., I find that vry motivational, no reason why I can't do that (although I'd have to leave the house at 5.30 to get in 24 miles and get into work on time. But 15-20 miles could be a goer, Up to Il'son and back, hmm ...

All is not good on the ankle front - still have full mobility and very little pain, but bad swelling.

Think I may have to take the decision to ditch running for a couple of months, I've had nearly a year of ankle trouble now and it's just not getting better. An easier decision to make now the winter bike is made up (which means I can use the turbo trainer again, and go out in carp weather). But I'll make up my mind in a day or two.

HAve a good day everyone!
15/11/2005 at 11:07
Morning all!

WP, excellent race - congratulations! And another first for you - being pleased with your result! Now treat yourself kindly for a couple of days and don't beat yourself up when you don't run as hard on your next training run as you think you should! There's an element of Stickless's words to Mava yesterday in there for you too - the need to almost 'punish' yourself for a race performance that you don't find acceptable by getting in some even more punishing training ... which just has the effect of wearing you down further. I hope you'll be happier to let your body have the recovery it needs after such a stellar run on Sunday.

Mava, your splits looked pretty encouraging, especially from a base training point of view (which I think you've been doing?) They seem quite even and there's no real increase in HR as you go through the race - so something positive for you to take away.

Mellifera, I think I suffer too from failure to push myself really hard. I don't think I have great top-end speed either but my tendency is always to race 'within myself' rather than taking a risk and going all-out, with the result that once the post-race euphoria has worn off, I start to wonder how much faster I could have gone ...

LizzyB, hope you ankle gets better. If you take up knitting, I shall have to take up needlework in sympathy and based on past performance that would not be good! There is a reason why I could never have been a surgeon ...

What: 8 miles, perhaps with 5 at tempo pace.
Why: Legs feel OK after 15-mile LSD but not sure I want to push them too hard so soon. Did a hard tempo run on Thursday knowing that Friday would be a rest day, and I needed it.
Last hard: Long run on Sunday.
Last rest: Yesterday.

Thinking that I need to get on to Map24 and seek some new running routes. It's not easy finding routes of the right length but this means I end up running the same routes week in, week out. I do have more than one route at most distances but having been running for 3 years now and run two marathons, the same old scenery is starting to look a bit dull ...

Happy (and hopefully not too soggy!) running all.
21 to 40 of 92 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.