Tuesday 20th April 2010

21 to 33 of 33 messages
20/04/2010 at 16:28

what: guess
why: oh go on

lyrics: well I've got them now thanks to Ms. Fleming

lyrics yesterday: I don't want to go to C*****a  by Elvis Costello (and the Attractions)
Wabo, clink, TippTop and all other right minded people  - all is not lost, yet. (sorry DD!)

Gobi You iz back bad lad, I like it. I'm sorry to hear about Rach - I have so enjoyed reports of her relentless progress through the ranks. Like you she'll be back though, I know that.

TippTop Excellent news from phys.

Pammie Glad your Mum's improving and good to speak to you yesterday and know you're ok too.

mava
Keep us posted with the progress with Bill. And I feel sure you will get your fitness back quicker than you think once you can start ratcheting up the miles again. Patience darling! Easy for me to say - I'd have NIL.

NZC oh crikey I'll cross everything crossable for you.

Jason Can you spill any more beans on the Africa trip? Is it hol, vol, to do with your medical training or D) none of the above?

M
Yeah that's the problem with a packed training week, something has to give.

20/04/2010 at 17:45

Great news TT.

M - sorry to hear about your Grandad.

20/04/2010 at 19:46

M. - shame about your Grandad's funeral, sorry to hear about that

Mava - it will come back!

Re Africa - doing 6 weeks placement in a rural hospital in Tanzania, then have about 5.5 weeks travelling around Africa including a hopeful ascent of Kilimanjaro.  Haven't fully decided on the travel plans, but something including Zanzibar, Mozambique, Malawi and Zambia (and a couple of days in Cairo) is the plan! 

What:  rest day
Why:  ran for the train and felt the knee.  No point making things worse

Nice running guys (and girls!)!

20/04/2010 at 20:05

M - sorry you won't make your grandpa's funeral.

Jason - take the malarials! My brother and his girlfriend both got malaria in Tanzania because they didn't take the pills.

Chick - hope things sort themselves out.

Gobi - best to Rach - sorry she's out injured.

Meant to say - yes 40 mins, we met at Cheddar in 2005 and I suspect you were 200 minutes back then! 

Yes Pammie, Chandos post-FLM although I wouldn't swear to 2008! 

I'm beginning to feel mildly relieved that I'm not doing VLM on Sunday.  Looks like it's going to be warm and I don't do warm! 

My whole day tomorrow has been messed up.  My plan was early rise, longish run then head off to a meeting at 11am as that was what was in my diary.   Uh oh, no I can't.  Meeting is at 8.45am so it's stoopidly early start to get a run in before going.  Grrrrr.  

Thanks for all the encouragement folks.  I'm just frustrated that I lost so much during such a short time.  I'll keep at it because that's what I do.  I just hope a few weeks at 45-50 miles a week will help. 

20/04/2010 at 21:10

Evening.

Gobi - I've got the dreaded plantar fasciitis but I am able to run. It does hurt after long, long runs but, for the most part, I'm able to cope with it. Rachel must have a bad case...or I'm doing something I shouldn't!

Pammie - I forgot to mention that, as with others, sorry about your mum and hope things get better for her. Sorry to hear you had to defer but, also agree, it sounds like the right decision.

TT - yay! You're able to run! Glad things worked out.

What: 3 x 1.5m at 10k pace 8:46-8:26 with .25 jog recoveries and mile warm up and cool down

Why: I'm wondering myself

Last rest: yesterday

Last hard: tonight

Lyrics: no

Think I'm still quite tired from Sunday's run as tonight was rather difficult and I am SO ready for bed right now. Did this session a couple weeks ago and it was difficult then too but I just feel exhausted! Was going to re-jig the schedule this week anyway since my Friday night driving lesson is off for the week and to account for tiredness. I was going to run today and tomorrow, rest Thursday and run Friday, rest Saturday. Think I'm going to rest tomorrow instead, run Thursday and Friday, still rest Saturday. 

Starting to have honest to God doubts about my ability to complete this marathon. Hoping this is normal.  

20/04/2010 at 21:11

Mava - great that you are able to help that blind guy get into running. Does he have use of a treadmill - that will help him get his fitness up in between outdoor runs with you.

M. - sorry to hear about your grandad and that you aren't able to get back for the funeral.

Chickadee - really sorry to hear things aren't going well on the homefront. You've done the work girl, get out and bag that good marathon that you deserve.

postie - you are sounding great.

Gobi - sorry about Rachel's foot - my husband has the same thing, and is hobbling around with a stick at the moment.

Jason - your trip sounds wonderful. I was in Africa in 1973 - never climbed Mt Kilimanjaro, but was on the foothill, went to Mombasa, but not to Zanzibar, travelled through Mozambique and Malawai - I'm sure you'll have an amazing experience.

What: 3 miles jog am. Then mowed the lawns in the afternoon, then had enough time to have a quick shower and drive into town to run O'Hagan's 5k. Didn't really know how I'd go and whether it was the right thing to do, but ran the best 5k in 3 years - 21.22. My foot and leg didn't hurt at all, but all last night and this morning, it is back again.

Guess if it doesn't hurt while I'm running then it is o'kay.

Good running everyone.

20/04/2010 at 21:28

Well done NZC - cracking 5k!

pjlovr - yep, that kind of doubt is par for the course, you'll be fine. Are your iron levels ok?

20/04/2010 at 21:37
LMH - thanks. I don't know about my iron. I hate broccoli and spinach so possibly not good! I have tried adding baby spinach to my avocado and mozzarella bagel sandwiches though as I can cover up the taste with the other ingredients. Oh and I take a multivitamin so should get some in there hopefully.
20/04/2010 at 22:30

Evening!

Well done NZC!

Gobi: sorry to hear about Rach...hope she can "manage"  the injury, particularly by cross training.

What: 40 mins steady
Why: struggling on "long" runs so need to do more of them! Was supposed to do reps but have moved these to Thurs.

Last hard: last Tues
Last rest: Dec 21
Last lyrics...

20/04/2010 at 22:34

Oh Debbie...I fell into the trap of giving the lyrics away LOL!!

Some sensible tapering for the marathoners here. I remember worrying about any uneven ground and crossing every road, i'm sure I was going to get injured somehow...

Sharkie - slightly before my time, but do like a bit of EC...prefer 'pump it up' tho..stormer!!

Tonight - 400,600,800,1000,1200 and back down again. Once again the wind sprung up from nowhere (not going to rant again!!)..didn't feel great, but got it done.

Well done NZC on the PB..Go for it Chick!!

20/04/2010 at 22:59

Christine Excellent 5k time. I will continue keep everyting crossed for you though - with the bigger picture in mind!

Jason That sounds like quite a visit. I had a feeling you'd be combining hol, vol and, er, something that doesn't rhyme but means hospital work.

pjlovr Calm down lass, you will be just fine! The rest bit is really important.

Simon Yeah, Pump It Up is a top track. It's from the same LP as 'Chelsea'  - This Year's Model.

20/04/2010 at 23:11

nzc welldone you, sounds like a busy day as well!!

pjlovr, yep marathon paranoia sets in, me too, not doubting I can just feeling things hurt, achilles sore tonight

did a good ish session though, managed all 8 x 2mins, well it was meant to be 400 m but i did actually do that on average for all of them.

sleep now...

i love that elvis costello album btw

M.
21/04/2010 at 02:12
nice 5k NZC if you do come to NIXC this year we'll be in the same race - although if you run like that I won't be keeping up!
M.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.