Tuesday 22nd January 2013

21 to 32 of 32 messages
Blisters    pirate
22/01/2013 at 17:48

OH. I've checked your test. I am indeed dead, but my HR has got a positive reading. Should I swap with Alehouse?

Weather report from 650 miles south of Orkney. Footpaths acceptable for normal trainers, temperature plus 2, boring hamster wheel run completed. 6.6 miles, same old direction, 7:55m/m. Left calf is a bit achey. I felt it start to get tight at the weekend, and the turbo session stiffened it up. Compression socks are in order, and I shall try a swim tomorrow. Outlook is for more snow arriving at midnight through to 6am.

22/01/2013 at 17:55

Not compression socks Blisters - you need a foam roller! What is your next race now?

OH - I envy you your open fire.

donaldo - do you have a race on the horizon?

M.
22/01/2013 at 18:26

Good to see you feeling better chickadeee

NZC!! Hello

Blisters - there was not a lot of planning in the 11k.  When I went out I was just aiming at roughly an hour easy.  The sprints arrived out of the blue as I felt the need to run fast at the end.  I'm vaguely eyeing up the possibility of doing a 100m or 200m at our local track meet before the end of summer.  I'll come last to a bunch of teenagers but thats ok.

Unfortunately the running is not really coming together at the moment, depsite a few weeks of good training.  Having serious doubts about the half marathon right now.  Well more than doubts really - I've pretty much decided to ditch it.

what: 6k easy at lunch, 5k race in the evening (21:41, another 30s slower than last week)
why: not really clear on that... 

M.
22/01/2013 at 18:29

Blisters - not that hot here, only about 26 degrees, great for the beach but not for running. Fine if you get up early and go, but at this time of year, with the kids on holiday, it's hard to get motivated.

What: 4km - bushtracks with Mae - very hot, Mae not enjoying it! Then orienteering with the family in the evening. I had my 3 year old gdaughter in the pushchair, so we were always going to take a long time. She punched quite a few of the controls, and was good at spotting them. 

22/01/2013 at 18:33

M. - just saw your post. What half marathon were you going to run? It's good that you are doing the 5km races even though you were slower than last week. I can't even get myself to face the starter! Saw Bernie is still running 20 something 5kms! How does she do it!

22/01/2013 at 18:48

LMH, nothing planned until the Edinburgh Marathon in May.  Will probably do some 10k' s and a half between then and now

22/01/2013 at 19:24

M - try taking a couple of easy days before your next 5k - you must be carrying a lot of fatigue at the moment. I know I lose speed when I first increase mileage.

NZC - I'd rather have your heat than our snow. I'm one of the rare people who adjust better to heat, I think it's being hypothyroid which increases my intolerance to cold.

22/01/2013 at 20:27

I'm not a heat person: Memories of Honolulu at Christmas and 90degs at 9.00 set my pulse racing for cover. 10k dreadmill completed on schedule and in lne with VLM training. Beginning to enjoy again. Rain forecast for the weekend so Llanswirry 8 should run. No contact ref re-scheduling of last week sadly. White stuff dropping in abundance here so liable to be off work again tomorrow

Blisters    pirate
22/01/2013 at 20:34

Definitely compression bandages.
R.I.C.E
Rest (overnight, maybe swim tomorrow)
Ice (plenty of that about, and some in the malt whisky)
Compress (yup)
Enjoy the telly.

Burns Night soon, have you shot your Haggi?

22/01/2013 at 21:46

Evening!

If I wasn't dead before...20 mins d&d. A bit of a struggle, but it wasn't the legs. Just the rest of me.

And Blisters: RICE is so last year. We first aiders now use POLICE. If you find out what it means let me know. I did know, honest, when I passed the exam.

22/01/2013 at 21:47

Had to use the ind est again tonight for my session - 8.58m done, 10 mins easy (1.19m) 20 mins Steady (2.82m) 20 mins threshold (3.02m) and 12.5 mins easy (1.55m) in the wind and snow....

But was all worth it as had Pizza afterwards.......

Take care all

22/01/2013 at 22:00

Had to look it up:
POLICE - Protection, Optimal Loading, Ice, Compression, and Elevation

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.