Tuesday 22nd January 2013

1 to 20 of 32 messages
22/01/2013 at 07:08

Morning.

Lyrics - Walking 'round the room singing stormy weather

Good to see you NZC. Yes, it's VLM I'm training for now.

We need some other old hands to return - haven't heard anything of Stickless for a very long time, AF made his brief reappearance - come on guys, let us know how you are.

I have never skied on snow either. Learnt to ski on the Army's dry ski slope at Woolwich and water skied when I was younger but never snow skied - I did meet a man skiing whilst I was out running yesterday.

What:                  swim set
Why:                   tired
Last hard:           last year
Last rest:            15/1

22/01/2013 at 08:00

Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics: "i've got my love to keep me warm," Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Hiliday amongst others.

Today's lyrics: no

What: at least 15 minutes run this evening. May have a walk, also.
Why: I'm allowed. Also, not working today, and it seems quite pleasant.

Yes, LMH, often woner how some missing names are, particularly 40 mins.

22/01/2013 at 08:18
What: snowy run
Why: it's arrived!
Last hard: Saturday
Last rest: yesterday

Enjoy your new freedom Alehouse

I've never skied on snow, I've skied in Scotland. I can ski on ice and rock
22/01/2013 at 09:20

good morning!
what - club night if it goes ahead, think its 1km reps. Depends how much snow is on the fields (and if the lights are on..).Otherwise will try the same locally on roads.
why - Tuesdays
last rest - friday
last hard - last week

lyric - think so

22/01/2013 at 09:47

lyrics - yes!
what - jogging round park with daughter whos recently started running
last rest - yesterday

last hard - 12 miles on sunday in ice and mud! (tired out the poor dog too!)

22/01/2013 at 11:00

Morning,

Not been on these threads much. Never have much to say!  But surprised to see alehouse out running. That seems really quick to me... glad you've recovered so soon.

What:  6ish miles later

Why: I'm getting back into the habit quite well...  and have a HM in March.

Last rest: yesterday

Last hard: depends on your definition. Probably not in 2013... as I'm just doing slowish miles.

Lyrics...  no.

22/01/2013 at 11:01

whoa - heavy snow overnight meant a tough run this morning. It was ankle deep most of the time, with a few drifts up to mid-calf and strangely enough some odd places where the wind had blown everything away and you could see the tarmac

what: 8 miles
why: back to week one of P&D
last hard: thawing out after I came back
last rest: yesterday
lyrics: yes

22/01/2013 at 11:02

forgot to say: welcome back NZC

22/01/2013 at 12:23

Afternoon from Witest Wales. Factory shut today as most staff v=can't get to their cars let alone to work!
Lyrics: Yes
What: Slow dreadmill
Why: Need the miles and outsude treacherous underfoot
Last Hard: Yesterday 4 reps of Marquis de Sade
Last rest: Last Friday

22/01/2013 at 12:50

Afternoon, again!

Beautiful day here! Crisp, sunny, little underfoot to cause a problem, just slightly white on the river bank and in the woods, so 3.5k walked. Run this evening. As RW says, good progress is being made. Need to be careful, of course, and to that end I wore HRM for the walk: unfortunately I couldn't get it to register anything. Suspect it is a contact issue. The HRM hasn't been worn before, being part of the Garmin 110 that I got a year ago: had no need to use that part of the equipment so far.

22/01/2013 at 13:15

Afternoon all. Suspect it may be treacherous out where we train this evening so I took a daylight run of 7M in the snow. Well done anyone who got out there today, and great news on 3.5k walked Alehouse. Lyrics are a big yes.

22/01/2013 at 13:43

Alehouse - have you 'paired' the strap and Garmin?

Overcast and grey here - and most definitely not nice underfoot though I suspect the trails would be ok once I got to them. Not sure it's worth the risk this afternoon though I do have some extra time as my student didn't show and I do have to walk Grace so could combine the two. Decisions, decisions.

22/01/2013 at 14:00

It seems to be paired, LMH: heart symbol is flashing but is giving no reading. Can't believe how nice it is here! Shame I'm not running until this evening, although the pavements are clear. It will be rather cold, I suspect!

22/01/2013 at 14:21

Afternoon all. Haven't touched base for a while. Shame to hear about cancelled races. I've been carrying on with training plan for VLM, managed 12 miles on Saturday. It was a fairly flat route but I really feared slipping so wore Wintertrax on my shoes, made me feel much more stable. Next race is Brighton HM on the 17th, I'm hoping to crack two hours for the first time!!
What: Running home this evening (6k).
Why: Got a bit behind on the weekday runs.
Last hard: Saturday.
Last rest: Sunday, Monday.
Lyrics: Nope.

22/01/2013 at 15:48

Can't you get out whilst it's nice Alehouse? I'm guessing you've tried licking the contact points?

Training for VLM myself now GGG - it's coming round quickly!

Walked Grace and decided that I definitely didn't want to be running outside so passed some time and scratched the OCD itch with an easy 30 minutes on the treadie - legs felt better at the end which is good and I feel that I made up for those miles I didn't do yesterday!

22/01/2013 at 16:38

Evening all.

Hello NZC, RW and GGG  nice to have you back.  Speaking of missing persons, where's MadameO these days?

What: nothing (did walk a few kms to station and from lift share as I was unable to drive into work this morning).
Why: it's cold/scheduled rest day
Lyrics: yes

Conditions are still trecherous out there and it was dark when I got home, so definitely not even a slow plod for me today.  However, whilst browsing the bike section of the supermarket last night, I did see that they sold bike turbos...any advice on whether a cheap one is worth it, or is it better to look at something more expensive.  Is there in fact any difference?

Have a good one all.

22/01/2013 at 17:04

emzap - the difference is likely to be in whether you can vary the resistance or not, how smooth the resistance is and the amount of noise they make.

22/01/2013 at 17:14

AH.  If the heart monitor is brand new, and it is paired correctly, with the heart symbol flashing, then I think the equipment is working perfectly.  The problem might be elsewhere.  Have you checked that you're not dead?

22/01/2013 at 17:34

Lyrics - aye!

5 miles easy with some strides.  Legs pretty shattered today, found it hard going.  Looked at my diary and I have had only one rest day since the 6th so probably needing another one soon.  Did about 8 short strides and took 39 mins all in.

22/01/2013 at 17:39
AH : try checking your pulse by placing a finger on thumb side of palmer surface of wrist. If you can feel a throbbing pulse then you are not dead
Sounds more like a configuration issue (it's picking up the HR monitor but perhaps not set to count and record it)

Just in from first run (slow plod) in snow this year - 11 miles including our local hill with track covered in virgin snow. Biting cold wind made it less pleasant in parts. Now back in front of open fire with cup of tea
1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.