Tuesday 27th December 2005

21 to 40 of 84 messages
27/12/2005 at 11:08
Morning

What: 7 x 800m, off 1 min

Why: speed

Last hard: last thurs

Last rest: sunday

Snowing here aswell, but ok to run on the roads, only laid vey lightly. lets hope there is no more.

Train well
27/12/2005 at 11:09
Morning all,
Some good racing and training yesterday, well done especially to JONPEPPER and BRYN both great performances!

Snowing here in Kent today, so training will be down to how conditions are under foot when I train, annoying as I wanted to spin the legs around quickly today, but like BT looks like an aerobic session will have to do!

What:
am: 6-miles at 7mm pace, steady pace, surprised how fast I was able to run on the icey surface.

pm: Session with IEK Training group at Blean Woods. Weather has really gone downhill this lunch-time, so not sure what will be done this pm, I had planned to do a pyamid on grass of 1,2,3,2,1,2,3,2,1mins with 2mins jog recovery, but this depends on the surface im training on, may just be a long slow run in the roads.

Why:
Aerobic endurance and PLANNED fast stuff.

27/12/2005 at 11:12
Quick one, we have snow here today, so likely a rest day. Had a good training week and could link up with some local running friends for some nice runs in the woods, quite a change to the usual urban runs! Last week was 109 mpw, this week will be cut back week. Pleased so far with the base training, the volume and feel now ready to do some more faster running again.

Lot of postings and some top performances, well done everybody.

Bryn - Cool! Matched the 5m time, sub 27 is good breakthrough, should indicate a 33:20 10k, the mark will fall 2006.

Will catch up with some on Friday & Sunday :)

27/12/2005 at 11:25
Morning all...sounds like some good training is going on. Interesting to hear about all the snow, it has just started here in Hampshire. I'm off to Kent tomorrow too, so hope it eases up a bit before then.

What: 5m watching lots of cars skidding - which was a bit scary!

Have a good day everyone
27/12/2005 at 11:43
What: 13.1 miles in the snow! It was ok at first, even if very slidy, but then at mile 10, in the middle of a deserted industrial estate, it really started to snow hard...

I am from Tuscany so snow is literally unknown territory for me - I thought, what would the guys and girls on the forum do? The answer: go on! So I went on.

I was covered in snow, it was exhilarating even if a tad worrying for a southern belle like me. Then I started worrying about my ipod, is it waterproof?
Just then, I slided about 50 metres downhill........whooooosh!

Fortunately I have good balance so I just surfed down - but that was the signal to go back home! Shook snow off, turned a corner and the snow stopped! The pavement by then were covered in snow so I run on the road, and arrived home a bit after 2 hours.

Yoga, banana and hot bath later I feel really well and ready to go out again tomorrow.

I hope you all have a really good day.
27/12/2005 at 11:45
Snow here, just a dusting, fun taking the dog out.

Tell you what really makes me gnash my teeth just a bit. Should have been running today (Buntingford), too crocked to run, seeing young 20 somethings couples jogging along in apparently new kit, looking at me, lowly dogwalker, in a distinctly superior sort of way, "you mere pedestrians wouldn't understand us dedicated runners".

Grrrrrr. Green-eyed monster here today, it would seem.

Family respects still to be paid, so shan't even try a run today. Still, no ill effects from 9 miles walking yesterday. Lets hope tomorrow works better.

Hilly - I strongly suspect there is something in the physiology of sleep itself which means that at a certain point in the sleep cycles you really do feel very very much worse. There's a point between 2am and 4am most nights when I begin to wonder whether I'll be able to make it down the corridor in the morning, forget about walking the dog, the concept of running completely beyond imagination. Fortunately, by getting up time, I'm usually much improved.
27/12/2005 at 12:16
Afternoon folks.

Thanks for the congrats on yesterday's race.

Nice cold morning here in Glasgow...just a wee bit slippy underfoot.

Back very stiff and sore this morning, so just headed out for a very easy 4.2 miles in just under 37 mins with Mrs S (her first run for about 10 days).

Just going to do some more easy/steady running for the next few days until the back eases off.

Off out now for a wander round the shops.

Have a good day.
27/12/2005 at 12:24
What: 10.1M in the frosty snow with a few flurries (not the ice cream kind) with clubmates including BR. 140av (70%).
Why: recovery and enjoyment run
Last hard: yesterday's last race of 2005!
Last rest: 7days ago

Today's run was very nice, although for the first 35mins, I felt like someone had swapped my legs (especially from the knee down) for sticks! After this, things got better, possibly something to do with the short stop in the undergrowth until things took a dwonward slide after an hour.

As me and BR approached a break in the middle of a field, a dog (bull terrier type) scampered up (owner about 30m away) and seeing me, launched itself at my leg in a 'playful' manner. Did the owner say 'come here'? Did she ar*e?! It continued jumping up at me, scrabbling its paws on my leg and trying to nip my hands.

We had stopped by this point and the others had caught up. The owner was saying 'come here' in a pathetic way, and we were asking/telling her if she wouldn't mind controlling it. The dog continued to jump at me (actually nipping my gloved thumb - didn't do any damage) then it jumped up at Simon (clubmate). She didn't even say the immortal lines of 'it won't hurt you'.

Eventually the stupid dog got fed up and zoomed off, but at no point did the woman attempt to grab the dog and put it on the lead.

As we turned to leave, I said, 'it's OK, you don't have to apologise', to her. She replied, 'Why?' I said, 'because it bit my thumb!' She just shrugged and we moved off.

I know there could have been implication if the mutt had drawn blood and if she was a lone woman and there was only one of us, etc, etc, but the issue is that she didn't really try to stop her dog and did a pathetic job of calling it off. I don;t mind dogs, but someone scared of them would have been very uncomfortable.

1799M for the year......
27/12/2005 at 12:24
109 miles - v.impressive URR. I was looking longingly back in my training diary for 2003 when I was doing that at between 6:20 and 7:30 pace...
27/12/2005 at 12:26
Myabe we should resort to carrying guns/tazers on these off-road runs?!
27/12/2005 at 12:30
I was attacked by a dobermann as a child and I am very uncomfortable with dogs. I would have freaked out.

Stickless, last week on a 13 miler I met two other runners, man and woman. I was totally high on endorphines, like always, and just beamed at them! The man beamed back but the woman really really looked crossly at me! Why? Maybe she was tired but they were on a downhill stretch, I was going uphill!!

Also from my other post, it did not take me 2 hrs to do the last 2 miles, as it sounded from my crooked writing style. It took me 2 hrs 05 for the whole 13.1 miles in the snow, just in case you were wondering.
27/12/2005 at 12:33
What - taking the kids out in the Peak in search of snow - we've got about half a centimetre here in Derby. Toying with the idea of doing a gentle mile or two on my mountain bike.

FL - some dog owners have no idea do they. I've got a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that is very boisterous like that (despite being 12 now) so I aways keep it on an extendable lead or take it somewhere I know there wont be people around. It's very friendly but it just thinks everyone loves it.
27/12/2005 at 12:36
Popsider - not many trails around here where you won't find runners around:-)

Good luck with the ride.
27/12/2005 at 13:03
Snow went from here as quick as it came so got out a did 13M @ MP +10-20% most of which was on the Dover 1/2 course.
Was supposed to do this tomorrow but the snow may be back & I'm racing 5K on Friday.

No mileages for me this year as I've been too busy to keep one since November but I'm trying out one on the "My Asics website" very simple but I may find that easier when life speads up in the New Year!
27/12/2005 at 13:05
Oh foam rollers from here http://www.physique.co.uk/default.asp

Much cheeper

I need to learn the new links thing, RW putting more work on me than I need :-)
27/12/2005 at 13:05
Morning all,

Stickless - little do they know about the real you!

What: Easy 4-6 miles later
Why: hard 7 miles yesterday
Last Hard: See above

I'm off to the wilderness north coast for a couple of days with MrsT. Deserted beaches, no cell signal, no TV and sometimes no power either. Will do some trail running in the bush and some beach running.

Have a great week.
AF
27/12/2005 at 13:08
Afternoon All,

FL: Well done on your race. Big improvement in the time.

Venon: Congrats on your first "proper" placing.

Scobos: Impressive performance over 10k off your recent training.

M. Sounds like you enjoyed the beer more than the race!

Bryn: another solid run. It must be the turkey.

What: 8m with 10x100m strides. Icy underfoot so more like speed skating. I'm sure on one of the strides I was going flat out but not actually moving!
Why: P&Ds master plan
Last Hard: Not in P&Ds master plan
Last Rest: 53 days

Have a good one.
AF
27/12/2005 at 13:14
sportaloo: I use the serpies excel training log.
(attempts to use new link syntax>
<url http://www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/training/log.htm#spreadsheet>spreddy</url>
27/12/2005 at 13:29
Morning All.

Woke to a fine dusting of snow here in Sheffield and continuing to get the occasional flurry.

10.5 miles today including 10-70 hard strides with equal recoveries, and back down to 10 again.

Good Runnings everyone.
27/12/2005 at 13:50
Greetings all,

well done to all the racers yesterday and those that trained.

Snowed here this morning too, also did our annual club christmas hanicap with Mrs RFJ and Monkey no 2, it was a good laugh.

Even better was the FLM 06 club entry draw - only one thing to be said - YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS. First out the hat, so me is rather happy and a great belated christmas present.

Racing at Cliveden 6m XC tomorrow, should be interesting if the snow persists.

Enjoy:-)
21 to 40 of 84 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.