Tuesday 2nd June 2009

21 to 27 of 27 messages
02/06/2009 at 21:50

Why don't I get the lyrics even if I now the song pretty well?

I'll stick to running:

What: 8M round Dinton Pastures
Why: There's worse places to run
Last Hard: Sunday, off road hills in the Chilterns
Last rest: Yesterday...

Hope you get a correct / definite / rapidly recoverable diagnosis Gobi

02/06/2009 at 22:20

Tonight:

2 x 150, 2 x 120, 2 x 100. All out.
I don't think it was quite meant to be all out but try telling that to those boys...

One or two casualties dropped along the way.

Not me. I even did the cool down lap. Couldn't tell how quick or otherwise I was tonight because I elected to start with the others, so was pretty much last on everything. That's alright though.

Edited: 02/06/2009 at 22:26
02/06/2009 at 22:23

sharkie, sounds like you've got a really good teacher there

40mins, have fun in the Welsh Castles relay. When is it ?

What: i) lunchtime: 4ml easy
ii)  discus practice (second session with excellent discus coach)
iii) 7ml inc trac session 12 x 400 @ 10k pace

Why: i) miles and heat acclimatisation
ii)  I want to throw the discus properly and get 'reasonably OK' for my age group - first target - AW standard of 18m; first competition - tomorrow evening
iii) coach thought I should only do a short session to make sure I'm properly recovered,

Blisters    pirate
02/06/2009 at 22:35

Alehouse: Hi, yes I do have a confirmed entry for Abingdon, I think it was one of the very last ones as entries closed within 2 hours of my registration. All I have to do now is to get motivated for it and maybe even do some training. Regarding running in the North West, I have kept my eye out from time to time in order to see if there would be something that could be made to coincide with a visit that way. Favourites are at Garstang, where my parents now live. Mind you, my form has taken a bit of a dip since the autumn, coincident with increased beer and weight, and allied to a significant amount of home-work (DIY).

Sharkie: You look drop-dead gorgeous from here. I'm not going to mess with you because that posture is now extremely confident.

Running tonight: another glorious outing, if a little tired. To be honest I'm not surprised, as I've been awfully lax at getting the backside out of the door recently, so yesterday's 11 miles was somewhat in the legs today. Only 7 miles, but certainly 4 miles of those were on sand. Some of it muddy (stop, go back & try again), some of it firm, but lots of it fine and soft, making for a very challenging outing and not one for bothering to look at the pace being recorded. Swansea does have some glorious beaches, but tonights was a bit of a blend between industrial and wildlife reserve. Accept the beauty of solitude, the majesty of a distant steelworks and the evidence of 200 years of history. I was intrigued by the black sand bands. Certainly man made, and not coal dust, they felt glassy. I guess it was steel slag. (Great name for it!). All in all a lovely evening out.

Oh. Track sessions. I know that I need to do those again. Ought to do those again.

40 mins: we're waiting....

02/06/2009 at 22:50

Evening all.

TMR - Welsh Castles is always the 2nd full weekend in June, so 13/14 this year.  I've got Stage 20, finishing in Cardiff Castle in front of the massed gathering of everyone else before the prizegiving.  Hope they don't mind waiting for me!

Michelmores 5K race report.

Hot sunny evening, get there rather late & wait for the start.  Delayed by about 10 mins for reasons I can't fathom from their PA system.

Horn goes & we're off - or not - field stutters & stops due to a handful of walkers who've chosen to start in row 3!

1K : 4:17  Feeling very dry, but a steady start towards 21min
2K : 4:21  Harder than it should be, but time almost OK
3K : 4:47  Bit of uphill through a park, getting passed a lot, not good
4K : 4:49  Seriously rubbish
5K : 4:16  Downhill helps

Finished with 22:29, over a minute slower than last year & 2 minutes slower than my Yeovilton 5K time last month.  In some ways this typifies my current form - sometimes it is there, other times clearly not!  This evening was the latter.

Club run tomorrow.

02/06/2009 at 22:51

Good evening Blisters, and everyone else.

The Swansea area, and particularly the Gower Peninsula to the west, is one of my favourite areas of the UK. Brilliant beaches, and lots of deserted cliff paths: just don't tell anyone!
If you are in Garstang then I'm sure there will be plenty of races in the Sale area...in fact the Sale 10 on the first Sunday in August would be the perfect benchmark for Abingdon.

What: steady run off road with 6 x 1 mins with 1.5 mins steady recovery. Not quite a track session, more towards a fartlek.
Why: need for speed. Coped well, until hit last half mile of warm down on road, when shins were protesting. Well, at least they didn't protest when I was running.
Last hard: May 27
Last rest: Dec 24

TMR: enjoying the discus reports!

40 mins: obviously out celebrating (or drowning sorrows)

02/06/2009 at 22:52
40 mins: cross post!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.