Upper Body Training

5 messages
16/08/2002 at 00:17
I'm looking for an activity to tone my upper body and to complement my running - bored sick of gym/weight training - I have considered Kayaking - any comments/advice/ideas?
WildWill    pirate
16/08/2002 at 08:23
A good compliment to running would be swimming it could be useful for both recovery sessions and to work your upper body.

I did a bit of white water Kayaking a few years back and found myself very toned especially around the mid section – but constantly a bit battered which will not help the running

What I’ve you have a fancy for trying – just give it a go – a little bit of what you fancy does you good ;o)

Will
WildWill    pirate
16/08/2002 at 08:25
DOH

That should of read:

What ever you have a fancy for trying – just give it a go – a little bit of what you fancy does you good ;o)

Will
16/08/2002 at 10:18
Apparently archery would also do the job. No first hand experience, but a friend used to participate and was extremely toned!

Fiona
16/08/2002 at 17:26
do you find circuit training boring? there are lots of good quality classes at gyms out there. there's a class called 'bodypump' which uses a barbell, but it also has an aerobic component and the classes usually have about 30% male participants... boxercise and things like that are also quite good.

traditional circuit training can also be useful, or do your own circuit as part of a run a couple of times a week. this could include pressups, wall pressups, tricep dips, chin ups etc... if you pass through a park early morning the kids playground monkey bars can be of use...

all i used to do was 20x bicep curls and 20x tricep dips every evening, with 20 sit ups and pressups in a morning before joining a gym and it left my upper body in proportion to my lower body... i know that's boring but just think of it like cleaning your teeth...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.