Upper Body

4 messages
21/04/2010 at 10:54

I have been running on and off for about 5 years now and concentrate on 5k's and 10k's. My PB for a 10k is 41m12 (18m50 for a 5k) and I really want to get under 40mins. I have tried loads of different styles of training - short speedy runs and longer endurance based runs.

I find that I manage to get the strength back into my legs and I get my lungs working fairly quickly after a few sessions BUT I do find that I always feel weak in the arms and the stomach. Whereas my legs are visually stronger through running my upper body doesnt seem to strengthen too much.

I am not a big fan of gyms \ weights so I was wondering if there are any alternative methods to gain better core strength? 

Thanks in advance!

21/04/2010 at 11:21
try press-ups marine style and 'the plank' where you hold yourself laying face down and flat on your toes and elbows.... google it for proper form examples, and with this you dont need to do it a lot like 10 press ups before every session works
21/04/2010 at 11:23
Kettle bells work for me, either one 20kg or two 12kg, don't need a lot of space, and youll feel results quickly...you'll benefit from a much tighter more controlled running style.
21/04/2010 at 11:47
another vote for kettlebells, great overall workout.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.