Walking as Cross Training

6 messages
15/11/2002 at 11:41
Hi everyone,

I would just like your opinion on walking as cross training.

I do a postal delivery of + 3 hours per day, 6 days a week, can I class my job walking as cross training or do they mean power walking = cross training.

I am trying to find out if any walking counts, or just really fast walking only.

Charlotte
15/11/2002 at 12:08
Hi NO LEGS,
I think to be used as cross training you need to working at about 65-70% of your max for it to have any benefit on your fitness. Mind you, you must get a raised HR if you are walking for 3+ hrs each day.

15/11/2002 at 13:58
If you get out of breath, it counts in my book. Especially if you are carrying a large bag full of junk mail and bills (that's all I ever seem to get delivered anyway). Must build stamina.
15/11/2002 at 17:32
Some of the fittest people I know (who do things like the KIMM) are posties, so it must help!

I worked for Royal Mail in the mid 1990s - there was a Post Office Athletics club that used to organise track events in the summer and regional X-country events in the winter, culminating in a national final.

The regionals were always during work time and you got time off work (paid!) for them. The finals were held in a different location each year and the Post Office paid for your hotel accommodation and travel. But that was when Royal Mail was _making_ #1 million a day.... Anyway, I ramble, but what I was going to say is that the Post Office Athletics Club (if it still exists) may be able to put you in touch with someone who can answer your questions - there are some bloomin' good runners amoung the Post Office employees!
15/11/2002 at 20:20
I had a similar query no legs. I have 3 dogs who get 2 1hr walks every day (365 days a year no excuses). My walks are very undulating (steep enough to make you out of breath). I'm sure this must count for something, also means I never get a complete days rest aching legs or no aching legs.
Trogs    pirate
15/11/2002 at 23:50
Like Ermintrude I walk my dogs twice a day, every day, except Sundays when hubby is supposed to do morning walk while I'm out running. Routes vary from relatively flat to hilly.

Before I started running, walking the dogs was the only exercise I took and I reckon my CV fitness was better than expected because of it.

I reckon it counts even if only as recovery or 'easy'. I definitely find that if I've had a hard race on Sunday, the Monday morning walk does seem to work out any residual stiffness.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.