Wanted - flat tum

21 to 36 of 36 messages
13/05/2003 at 18:48
goes pretty quickly once you stop..............oh yeah...that's true
The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/05/2003 at 21:31
do those electrial pulse things that sap yur muscles work??
and are pilates really that good?
13/05/2003 at 21:37
Pilates is really good but you have to do it properly. It works on only doing small repitions but you do them so slowly with the muscles pulled in tight, really concentrating on the movements. You won't get results overnight but in time you do notice a difference. The biggest thing i found was how it affected my posture on a day to day basis, in the fact that i was more aware of holding my stomach in and standing tall.
13/05/2003 at 21:38
should have checked the spelling in that!!!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/05/2003 at 21:42
i have 2 free dvds now but only have a dvd player on the pc ... can you watch them and do the exercises without really watching or are they complicated enough that you need to watch as you do them? oh and do you need much room?
13/05/2003 at 21:55
You need about as much room as you take up lying on the floor with your arms stretched over your head.

I would recommend trying a class for a while rather than just using a DVD because you can't watch the screen all the way through the movements, and the DVD won't tell you when you're doing it wrong!

When you first start doing pilates it really makes a difference having an instructor who can re-position you when you're wrong - otherwise you strengthen the wrong muscles and end up either hurting yourself or ruining your posture.

The moves aren't generally complicated, but you do need to be very aware of the muscles that you're working and concentrate really hard on your body. I find it easier to do in front of a mirror because then you can see if you're out of line, or if your shoulders are creeping up to your ears!

I would definitely recommend a class - most gyms, and local leisure centres will have a class I expect.
13/05/2003 at 22:57
the zapper things only work for definintion and tone. and only if youre pencil thin already. there better for rehabilitation treatments and the like, from torn muscles etc.
14/05/2003 at 09:11
Hiya, reading with interest....have been told that, unusually for a woman, am storing what fat I have on my stomach not my thighs or anywhere else....can I get rid of that without losing fat elsewhere first, don't want to lose weight anywhere else but would like to lose the roll on my stomach....do lots of CV (run/swim/squash) and a weights session once a week, work ABs 3/4 times a week....is pilates the answer, sounds good?!
14/05/2003 at 09:29
I have read much on the subject of trying to 'target' particular areas of the body as I have always had real difficulty shifting the fat over my stomach but the rest of my body fat disappears with ease. (maybe something to do with my friend Al Cohol)

Opinion is divided on the subject - some believe that by exercising certain muscles (eg Abs) the fat in that area of the body is used up first, others believe that regardless of which part of the body is excercised the fat is burnt evenly throughout the body.

I have deduced that different things work for different pople and the best option is to give it a try and see what works for you. - now is that the least useful reply youve ever read or wot?
14/05/2003 at 12:11
EP - there's a local Pilates class that I started doing a couple of weeks ago. Classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's really good. Also available in Reading at various places I believe (seem to remember seeing them advertised).

Andy
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/05/2003 at 14:04
Andy where's that? Theale Green?? Sounds like a plan!!
14/05/2003 at 15:02
Yeah. Tuesdays at 6.30, Thursdays at 8pm. Either/or.

This is the 3rd week out of (I think) an 8 week 'course'. It works out at about £6 a session though you pay at the start of the course. I presume you pay less 'pro rata' if you join late. Worth ringing first to check though.

Andy
The Evil Pixie    pirate
14/05/2003 at 15:38
cheers!
16/05/2003 at 12:40
Just a quick post to say that Runners' World got in touch with me about this thread. In short, they are going to do a short training article on my quest for a flat tum, so look out for it in a future edition!
16/05/2003 at 12:44
With a before and after photo?
16/05/2003 at 13:00
Just a before...but it's a 'before the tum got out of control' before, so it's not too terrible! In fact, it's me after finishing the marathon, so I look quite knackered...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.