Wednesday Session - 13 November

21 to 37 of 37 messages
13/11/2002 at 13:30
God, it's enough to give anyone a mental kick up the backside reading these training posts. Lizzy - that's a fast time in my book.
Well done on your PB WW, sounds like very hard work.

What: 1st 5K race, local community fun run. How much faster per km should this be compared with a 10K? My PB is 48.08, was thinking around 23 mins something was a reasonable target.
On the other hand if I can drag my 13yr old away from her CDplayer I might run with her and not worry about time.
Why: opportunity to run in the evening. It's too dark in my village.
Last hard: Mon
Last rest: yesterday.
13/11/2002 at 13:58
What: rest
Why: rationed by evil physio

Last hard: Sunday
Last rest: Monday
WildWill    pirate
13/11/2002 at 15:22
Laura

Your probably looking at closer to 22 than 23 with a 48 min 10k - I find when only running 5k you dont need to think as much about pace - I just seem to take my brain out and go for it
13/11/2002 at 16:32
What: 8.6 very muddy miles
Why: Thought I would take advantage of the daylight and run offroad. A bit wet and muddy for my liking as I only had my old road shoes on - need to invest in some x-country ones
Last hard run: Today
Last easy run: Yesterday

Gareth
13/11/2002 at 16:48
What: 12.3 mile long run, started out to do 11.5 but was feeling good.
Why: its Wednesday.....

Last: 6 mile fastish Monday

Next: 7.5 / 8 mile friday
13/11/2002 at 17:39
What: brisk 5 miles
Why: have a 10K in two weeks and needed to ask my body some questions (will get the answers tomorrow!)
13/11/2002 at 21:08
Did it - 5 K handicap race, 3 laps. It was nice going off in groups instead of being left behind for a change. 22.59, but I won't setting any targets to improve that unless it happens by accident - 10 K is my minimum distance, anything less just hurts too much!

With last Sat's race that's the 3rd intensive session in a week, no more speedwork until next Monday, thank God!
13/11/2002 at 21:09
Well done!
13/11/2002 at 21:55
Well done Laura, but I'm sorry it's put you off what I regard as my favourite distance.
Had a dead slow recovery - 5 miles in just under 38 mins. Legs were still feeling the effects of last night's hills.
13/11/2002 at 22:09
Great time Laura! good for you.
What: 8 miles or so with club, a bit of speed and hills in there too
Why: I've been a slob
Last hard: Sunday
Last rest: yesterday
13/11/2002 at 22:11
Well done Laura, that's a very good 5k time. I too find 5k's hurt too much. Mind they're over quickly!!

What: 10 miles steady pace, followed by swimming lesson to improve technique.
Why: wanted a slower run after race at weekend and time trial last night.
Last hard: last nights time trial 2.8 miles at 5k pace followed by 5 miles of undulations @ quick(ish) pace.
Last rest: Monday
13/11/2002 at 22:44
What an active day everyone has had !

What : 6.5 miles in beautiful sunshine around London's parks - including seeing the royal horseguards troop by (presumably for the opening of parliament)

Why : get out of the office
Last hard : speedwork yesterday
last rest : Mon

Psi
13/11/2002 at 23:05
Mr C, the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment are a sight to behold! Much more interesting than the Foot Guards IMO.

Just adding this post to whine about my foot injury, which is now almost certainly a stress fracture to the heel bone. GRR.
13/11/2002 at 23:22
what: rest day
why: i am very very drunk

last hard: oooh er missus
last easy: monday
13/11/2002 at 23:58
PSI, commiserations. Do you get time off work in your line of business?

Mike, I was thinking of you tonight, knowing you like 5Ks. I really do find it awesome the speed some people were putting on - 17-18 minutes.

Joking apart, how much is it just what you're used to, and how much is inherent suitability? Are different constitutions better at short vs long distances or is it just what we train most at?
I just keep thinking I know I'm not a sprinter, but this really nice encouraging woman at the club said she thought I'd only got a mental barrier about it.

Has anyone broken through a mental barrier, or do we all know in our heart of hearts what our strengths & weaknesses are and should basically not fight them?

Hmm, might post about that separately sometime.
14/11/2002 at 13:49
Laura - I look forward to the post!
I think it's basically a function of what you're used to. I wouldn't say I was "inherently suited" to 5K (probably better suited to longer distances), but I've done a lot of them.
You may indeed not be a "natural" sprinter, but it's perfectly possible to acquire through training the improvement in speed you need to run shorter distances.
Psi
14/11/2002 at 17:32
Laura, I'm a reservist, so I get at least 5-6 days a week off ;)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.