Weight trainings part in running

6 messages
06/08/2012 at 06:24
Just curious to know how many people like to incorporate a weights program to aid the running that they do. Or people that simply run a program like that alongside running how do you think it affects you if at all?
06/08/2012 at 09:58

I incorporate weights into my training but always struggled in the latter part of marathon training to fit it in. Now only do 2 weight sessions per week, medium weights and high reps (15-20 per set). Overall it does help especially recovering from injury.

09/08/2012 at 13:59

I do Body Pump classes or do my own weight based circuits (using dumbbells, barbells and kettlebells) on the gym floor twice a week. I am a firm believer that weight training is an essential complement to running. For example, running mainly works the lower body so if I want a balanced body I need to pay attention to my upper body and core as well. Personally, I just can't imagine running up a killer hill without having these strong legs that I built during Body Pump!

09/08/2012 at 16:50
I agree and I incorporate weights heavily and although it takes a huge effort your body shows that effort and after a while you will adapt
10/08/2012 at 13:37
I do mostly compound weights and wide-grip pullups / tricep dips. I do the 'big three' lifts twice a week with 80% max weight for 5-8 reps. I swap standing press for bench press, because you don't lie down to run!

I find this routine keeps my lower back feeling healthy and generally keeps me more injury-resistant when running. I've never seen any benefit personally from going over 12 reps on any resistance-based exercise.
10/08/2012 at 17:01

I came into running from a boxing/martial arts/bodybuilding background......and to be honest, much as I love my running, I don't want to end up having the typical upper body of a distance runner. Its just a cosmetic thing. For as long as my running times keep improving I'll keep it up.

I have given up bodybuilding but still incorporate high rep (10-20) weights exercises for every muscle group (I do an abdominal workout too). It might have some benefits to me as a runner.............but honestly, I'd imagine that the weight I'd lose if I gave up all weight training would possibly benefit my running more.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.