What do I do?

5 messages
20/07/2014 at 10:51

Just going through the Runner's World 3:30 marathon training program, all going great so far but a bit confused by what it's asking me to do here, can anyone help?

"Tue 6M of 1M jog and strides, then 10 x 400, with 200m (1-min 30) jog recoveries, then 1M jog"

Is that saying 6miles of jog and strides, and then you do 10 x 400m intervals with 200m (1:30) jog recoveries? Also a 200m distance in 90 seconds is a walk and not a jog for me.  Can anyone explain exactly what a stride is as well?

20/07/2014 at 11:18

I'd say 1mile warm up (inc some strides at the end) - then 10 x 400m with either 200m OR 1:30 recoveries (presumably if you're on a track the 200m would be easy to measure, on the road/trail then 1:30 is easier)

A stride is a short burst of spead, maybe 20-30 seconds almost flat out, full recovery between each stride.

To workout the pace for the 400m you can use mcmillian calculator

20/07/2014 at 11:32

It looks like 400m in 1:15 which should be fine.  Just the strides bit threw me off as normally the sessions always start with 1 mile jog.

20/07/2014 at 13:44
Simon I am still a little confused by this session. I thought I'd post to try get my head round it and offer my thoughts

Firstly I don't train for marathons. However the session is huge. Nearly 10m worth of volume!

A stride can be done as a warm up, after repetitions or a steady run..

It's a strong quicker "run" over 50-80m focusing on good form with a gain in speed quicker than regular steady run.. Normally 3/4 would do..

I would (and have) read this is different ways...

But I'd say this is like this

6m steady state run, then perform the strides, the strides would break you in from a slower run ready for the 400s.. Otherwise blasting some 400s from a slow jog could cause a muscle to pull!

4x 50m just to tick the legs over. Then the 400s at relevant pace.. Walking recovery is fine if that's the distance it sets.. I never go by distance recoveries - too inconsistent unless you time it, in which case might as well time it

Then a mile steady state after the run I'd say would be quicker than the first 6m but not like a tempo pace effort
20/07/2014 at 13:46
Ps - when I say steady state I would have thought it's 6m at marathon pace not a regular steady run which would be slower

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.