What to eat/drink on long runs and during a marathon help

6 messages
31/01/2014 at 14:13

Hello,

I am running the London marathon this year (my 1st marathon) and would like some advice about what to eat/drink during long runs and on the day. I have tried drinking Lucozade Sport on my last long run (12 miles) with but it upset my stomach so think I'll stay away from it.

I haven't tried any gels yet, do you have any suggestions that you use and where do you get them from? Also how often do you eat them? Could I survive the marathon with just water and gels?

Thanks if you are able to assist!

cougie    pirate
31/01/2014 at 16:19
Yep water and gels is doable - i do it every year.

I like High 5 gels. I take one every 5 miles where there's a water station.

You need to practice with them on your long runs as you've found.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=high5+gels&oq=high5+gels&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3878j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

I wear one of their gel belts and take 6 or 7 with me in case I drop a gel. I'm not going back !
31/01/2014 at 20:14
Thanks Cougie, I'll get some High 5 gels and give them a go.

Thank you
31/01/2014 at 22:28

I just buy the non caffeine ones from tesco, currently on offer.

31/01/2014 at 22:33
Yes, it's worth trying a couple of different brands as some are more palletable than others.
31/01/2014 at 22:53

hunt out the Isogels i'ma fan of the high5 ones, the isogels are more water based so look a bit larger but are a lot easier to divert and you don't need to have water with them. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.