When the reality of the pain suddenly hit you.

10 messages
01/04/2012 at 14:04

I know, I really do know, that I am undertrained for my first marathon.  I know, I really do know, that it is going to hurt. 

But having just come back from my 3 hour 14 min run thinking I had covered about 19 miles. I discover i actually covered 16.88 miles.  How?  Last week I hurt more/wanted to vomit/had to walk lots/it was hotter, and did 15.6 miles in 2hours 29.  How?

How?

How?

I ate.  I drank.  I re-fuelled.  I took more walking breaks (before I needed them) and practised my race plan.  I felt fine up until 2 hours 36 (which was a whole 36 minutes longer than last week).  I don't think I hit the wall. Did i?

01/04/2012 at 14:15
No. You just got very very tired. But the best thing is that you ate and drank and had some sort of plan. Rest a bit this week and try again, it will be easier yet again.
01/04/2012 at 14:16

Thanks RicF.  Problem is this was the last long run, 3 week taper now.

Problem.

01/04/2012 at 14:52
Exactly- and you're knackered from training. Rest now- just a few shorter, faster runs to keep the legs ticking over. Don't worry, it'll be better on the day.
01/04/2012 at 16:56

thanks.

Ain't nothing I can do about it now!

Fingers crossed for the day!

02/04/2012 at 12:42
hi there, i am training for Belfast marathon, done my 18 in what should have been 3 hours or just over, and only managed to do it in 4 hours, i have been steadily training, ok missed a few sessions this week, but the first 10-12 mile was fine, but the PAIN hit hard the last 5 or 6, is this due to under training or is it a unevitable thing that will happen when you reach that mileage??
cougie    pirate
02/04/2012 at 13:02
Probably you're running on tired legs. Have you done too much in between the big runs ? You're better to be undertrained than overtrained.
02/04/2012 at 13:26
not really, it s mad, because last week i trained 4 times a week, and when i done my long run it s was awful with the heat, but htis week i only managed to get out twice and then my long run so my legs were well rested, in saying that I done a lot of walking and had a busy day on Sunday...
02/04/2012 at 16:55
Last long run, even better. In my experience the training effects of such efforts continue to accrue for about 6 weeks.
02/04/2012 at 19:46
what do you mean accrue for  6 wks?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.