Where do you like your hills?

14 messages
03/12/2004 at 12:09
What's your preference for confronting hills when you're out for a run? Do you get it out the way early, take it on in the middle, or save it up for a final push at the end?
03/12/2004 at 12:25
As long as they are not at the start I don't care (hate em , they kill me!)
Duck Girl    pirate
03/12/2004 at 12:26
All round
(trainee fell runner)
03/12/2004 at 12:32
I like 'em at the end - a sting in the tail, a last burst of energy to let you know you've had a really good workout.
03/12/2004 at 12:43
I like my hills on another course! ;o)

On a serious note though I quite like hills but only to run up as I can get a good pace going. Am absolutely pathetic on descent as have tiny weak flimsy ankles which give way under me on encountering the tiniest of pebbles!!
03/12/2004 at 12:45
As I live at the top of a long hill I have no choice but to start all my runs with a descent and finish them all with a climb. My choice of route determines how steep the final ascent will be!
03/12/2004 at 14:15
I live and run in an "undulating" area and hills are part of life. However, I hate to begin a run by going straight up one. I need a couple of miles to warm up and then I'm okay.
03/12/2004 at 15:44
rocks you are unhinged-best place for hills is after the finish when you're in the car
03/12/2004 at 15:47
At the end of a race so I can break some hearts:)
03/12/2004 at 15:51
Good point alex.... no wonder you enjoy running along Embankment so much!!!

How's it going? I'm injury free, but not doing nearly as much running as I would like.
04/12/2004 at 23:05
Whats to like about hills????
05/12/2004 at 13:05
Everything: Interest, Quick results, views, The ability to hide from the worst of the weather in the lea of a hill, and of course "rest time" when you come to a down hill.
We live at the bottom of a 1 in 5 valley, so I
prefer to finish on a downer, it means I am almost home. It also looks better, as the neighbours only see me flying down the hill at the end of my runs. (They are usually in bed when I set out!
10/12/2004 at 08:09
I like them behind me!

On hols in the summer we camped on the side of an Alp one day (Col du Lauteret). I woke up early one morning and couldn't sleep, so I went running. Which way to go? Very slowly up, in order to finish with the (marginally) quicker and easier half. The only time in my life I have dragged my considerable frame upwards for over half an hour continuously!
soc
10/12/2004 at 16:22
I like them far away from me - seriously, my ideal run is flat. Having said that, they are good for training! L

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.