Where to run in Doncaster?

11 messages
18/08/2003 at 19:17
This is a bit of a shot in the dark. I'm visiting Doncaster later this week but have no knowledge of the area (except a road map). Can anyone recommend an interesting, easy to explain, route of about 6-8 miles. I don't mind if it takes in all the cultural landmarks or not. I just don't want to do 24 laps of the gas works!
18/08/2003 at 21:12
Best thing to do is drive somewhere nice and explore from there. Try Cusworth Hall (about 3 miles west of the centre). Park up, run past the hall then down the hill at the back to the lake and follow different paths from there.
18/08/2003 at 21:19
Tyango,
My advice would be to take the M18 and dont turn back.
Pollard!
18/08/2003 at 22:24
Thanks BR. Cusworth Hall sounds like fun. Anything with a lake must have some flat stretches!
Blisters    pirate
20/08/2003 at 00:29
Doncaster!

Run away, and fast!
20/08/2003 at 08:48
Head towards Sheffield and don't stop
21/08/2003 at 13:26
Well, I'm back from sunny Doncaster. My hotel was about three miles away from Cusworth Hall so I ran there via Sprotbrough. I passed three runners on the way, one was a madman dressed in black who was doing hill sessions on a cliff face that I barely managed to stagger back up at the end!
Cusworth Hall itself was a fantastic setting for a run (and worthy of a RW Rave Run picture). From the hall at the top of the hill it was possible to look out miles across farmland and city, from the lake at the bottom I had an excellent view of the sun setting over the hall. I passed six runners who were all enjoying the fine summer evening. Two laps of the grounds worked out at about two miles and then I headed back to the hotel.
Many thanks to barnsleyrunner for the suggestion.
The rest of you should head up the M18 and sample the delights of the metropolis :-)
I will be back there next month and have picked out a good route alongside the river/canal running through Sprotbrough.
21/08/2003 at 21:22
What, you're going back?
21/08/2003 at 23:34
tyango - glad it worked out so well for you. I feel happy now :)
Blisters    pirate
21/08/2003 at 23:47
Of course he's going back, they must have nicked his wallet.
25/08/2003 at 15:01
I escaped with my valuables intact! I was pleased to meet several teenagers on my run who behaved very strangely (smiling and saying hello), surely this cannot be normal behaviour?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.