Who said running was simple

8 messages
02/01/2003 at 19:32
I am running the flm and cant make my mind up what schedule to follow, when should i taper my long runs and what distance should i cover a week and what length should be my longest run and how many times do i need to run that distance. Last time i followed schedules for the flm, i felt i hadnt done enough preparation and found it extremely hard going after 15 miles anybody got any ideas on this subject please.
02/01/2003 at 20:03
Hi Chappy,

Which schedules have you been looking at?

Take a scan at the following and see if any of them look good to you. I think they're all slightly different.

Runners World UK

Runners World US

Hal Higdon

There's also the 4 days a week schedule in the current edition of Runners World magazine.

I used the US Runners World site Beginners' schedule for my first marathon earlier in the year. I followed it, and it seemed to work ok. I didn't break any records, but nor did I hit the wall.

I hope something here is at least a useful starting point for you. Good luck :)
03/01/2003 at 10:44
If you ask me, use the schedules as a rough guide about target mileage in a week, but do whatever you feel you can do. What's important is building up steadily.

I end up doing more longer runs than on these schedules (e.g. 2 x 15 miles a week plus one or two short fast ones). My first FLM was on just 2 big runs a week, just at weekends, and was close to my pb.

Hope that's not too disruptive.
cougie    pirate
03/01/2003 at 11:56
Chappy - the long runs are really the key. You should be used to running 20 milers before the FLM - that way you shouldnb't be feeling tired after 15.
03/01/2003 at 14:04
Wee piglet. Read all of them , thats the trouble. Looking at all of them and trying to build my own schedule to fit around my family and work commitments.Got to say i agree with Cougie. I think that long runs are the key, come to the conclusion that if you do the groundwork in the week, then the long weekend runs are easier to tackle.
cougie    pirate
03/01/2003 at 14:12
Yeah - I think you have to adapt all of the schedules. One day I'll work out how many of the scheduled runs I actually did for FLM 2002. Maybe 70% ??
03/01/2003 at 14:12
I see what you mean, Chappy.

I also agree with Cougie. This time I'll be aiming to run x 5 per week, but the only one that seems to me to be absolutely vital is the long one. With the rest I'm happy to chop and change a bit as long as I'm not actually doing less than the basic schedule suggests. Sometimes the Mon-Fri runs look a little short to me.

Good luck with it all, anyway! I haven't fixed on a plan yet either, except for my ever increasing long runs :)
cougie    pirate
03/01/2003 at 14:19
Oh - conducted post mrtem of my FLM2002 training.

I was meant to be following a 14 week training plan that had me running on 69 occasions.

I managed 42 ! So that's 3 sessions a week, and only 60% of what I was meant to do.

Sheesh - if I can find time for the other 40% of sessions I'll be kicking Paulas ass, except she's a girl and I won't be in her category. Well either that, or I'll be really injured and over trained !

Very poor performance me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.