Why am I gettting worse?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
08/08/2006 at 17:37
There's already plenty of good advice on this thread, but for my 2p, you might be overtraining and/or not allowing enough of a time lag to recover and get the benefit of your more recent high quality training.
08/08/2006 at 22:47
GG was contemplating Linlithgow though it was one of the two I did last year and didn't enjoy it but I know at least 2 others who got their PBs at it so might be worth a bash!

Virgil, my husband would probably agree with you. On reflection, I do tend to end up doing hard sessions right next to each other mainly cos I'm not good at just taking it easy, always seems a bit of a waste of good time. i do generally have at least 1, usually 2 rest days a week though.
05/09/2006 at 12:10
Hi Flump,
I'm in exactly the same boat. Did 48:21 (a PB, hadn't raced a 10K for ages) at the beginning of the summer, after sporadic training. Really want to break 45min before I turn Veteran (eek!) in October. My next 2 10K's were both slower, despite having put in consistent training according to the RW 8-week 10K schedule. I've had really horrible stitches in my last 3 races, despite rarely getting them in training.
The training feels like it's going well, I enjoy the faster sessions, am comfortable on the longer runs, but it doesn't seem to come together for racing.
Incredibly frustrating. Keep us updated if things improve, I've got 25 days before my next race to try and turn it around.
Good luck!
Em
07/09/2006 at 22:21
hey Em

Things are on the up. I did GSR 10K on sunday and got a pb of 46.16 so it's a decided improvement.

Hope things going well for you. I took some of the advice on this thread - have had more rest days and done more outside runs. I also decided to try to do something about the mental side of things and bought a book on sports psychology. It maybe had no effect - I suspect the PB had more to do with the wonderful pouring rain - but i felt more relaxed going into that 10K than I've felt for a while so it's worth a bash.

Good luck! Keep me us posted!
18/09/2006 at 18:41
Well done, good time! I've had an enforced break from running since I forgot to take my running shoes on holiday. Lots of cross-training though with walking, rock-climbing and mountain biking, so hope it helps. I also had a good session with the chiropractor who did something weird to my diaphragm, so fingers crossed that'll help the stitches!
I think the mental side of it is important - I ran my best time when I wasn't really worried about PB's, just seeing what I could do, so I think I need to relax and just focus on running well rather than obsessing about my time.
Next 10K in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know how it goes.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.