Why shouldn't I run 13.1 before my first HM ?

21 to 29 of 29 messages
12/10/2012 at 17:56

I think the psychological benefits of going over distance before your race are huge. Glad your 19-mile run wasn't a total disaster - you'll find it a lot easier the next time you run that distanc (it's be miles 20 and 21 that feel really hard). Once you've run Manchester, if you want to go further out, come and join us on the "Wanabee ultra runner" thread.

Actually... I did run over marathon distance in training for my first marathon - I deliberately trained for and ran a 50K first. This gave me mental permission to stop speed work while I built up the mileage (too self-competitive, that's me). Did a couple runs over mara length (with 10-12 mile runs the next day) in training, then the 50K, before dropping the mileage down a bit and doing more speed work for the marathon. Knowing I could run the distance was a huge help when I came to run the marathon.

And Skinny, I don't think I could have run a 50K, never mind my first 50M, with no training runs longer than two hours...

13/10/2012 at 12:58

A 19 mile training run for a first ever half marathon? Yes ultra running beckons.

I did two 30 mile training runs prior to my first 50k race. Also in between I ran my first ever proper half marathon. 

13/10/2012 at 13:51
Ultra you say ? How far do you have to drive in that event ?
13/10/2012 at 15:58

If you carried on running you'd have done a marathon. IIRC your nickname suggests you're an unstoppable machine of some kind.

Depends where you live but take a look here for some ideas.

http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/races/uk.html#england

13/10/2012 at 17:29
Completed a couple of 2h05 to 2h10 halfs with training up to 10/11 miles, but knocked 24 min of that PB when training up to 19 miles (as part of my first marathon training) - it made a massive difference to my speed having the extra endurance. I may be a naive beginner when it comes to running but I can definitely see the benefit, but only as the others said if you have a decent base mileage to run your LSR from to avoid injury.
13/10/2012 at 19:18

Daeve: yes, the half I ran between the 50K and the marathon, I took about 12 minutes off my PB - so much easier to just "go for it" when 13 miles is no longer a long distance.

14/10/2012 at 01:07
Thanks for the comments everyone. For me, I think it will benefit me to do the extra miles if I'm having a good run. Today, I did a 16 mile run that took in 2 miles of going up a mountain, quite literally. It was definitely a hard slog but I feel I have a marathon in me. It's given me even more confidence towards going for that marathon. As for 'ultra' I'm not so sure. I'm 45 years old, but don't believe that age should be a barrier for most things, but am not so sure I could commit to the training I suspect is needed. But i am a competitive so and so so who knows. I will have a look at that link, cheers stanmorek, and will pop over to one of the ultra threads to see what it's all about, cheers Debra.
14/10/2012 at 16:47

carterusm. FYI: I'm about to hit 45. Many ultrarunners are not in their 20s or even their 30s. Loss of stamina as you get older is slower than is loss of speed...

14/10/2012 at 17:26
Thanks Debra. I didn't realise a lot of ultra runners were of a similar age to me. Looking at one of training plans for a 50km it seems that I am currently running similar distances and would only really need to steadily increase my LSR. So maybe it could be an option for the future. What terrain are ultras normally run over ?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.