Will 2 weeks off training dash my chances?

4 messages
29/01/2013 at 18:32

Ey up, I was 7 weeks into an 18 week p+n training program when i pick up a knee injury. Saw a pysio not to bad just a bone bruise should be ok in a week meaning  2 weeks off training! Im gona swim and cycle untill i can start runnung again.Im aming for a sub 3 hr marathon, my p.b is 3.20 hrs. My question is should i carry on where i left off or posepone and do a marathon 5 weeks later than the one im signed up for?

Cheers Gary

cougie    pirate
29/01/2013 at 20:25
20 minutes is a big leap in performance.
It's a big ask even with consistent training so I might try a later race.
You probably won't have lost much fitness, but you won't have gained any either.
29/01/2013 at 20:30

Gary what are your HM times and how many miles a week were you running ?

29/01/2013 at 21:44
Keep up the cardio work until you can return to running. Sods law says you postpone by 5 weeks, and then pick up a new injury as you have been marathon training for 23 weeks.

Just be smart about not overdoing the running when you are back, and pick a sensible 'B' target of say 3:15.

I had almost 4 weeks off last time and managed to scrape a pb based on better training and continued improvement. It does feel like a disaster at the time

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.