Will marathon training blunt track times?

4 messages
03/10/2005 at 11:24
Thinking about running London in April, but worried that it will affect my track speed(particularly steeplechase) for the summer months? In some ways it will give me a great endurance base, but will it be at a slow pace?

Any thoughts?
03/10/2005 at 12:28
My view is that it will affect you in the short term but the endurance base will be ideal for you to move your track times up a notch after reverting to track work. I'm not experienced in track racing but a lot of folks record PBs at 10k after their recovery from a marathon is complete. You will need to train properly for the marathon though, otherwise you could be wrecked for weeks.
JJ

JJ
JFB
03/10/2005 at 13:21
Someone I know did their first and second marathons last winter, and he then ran the quickest 5K in the summer he has for a number of years. I would have thought he S/C would be much the same. If we are talking 800m, I'm not so sure.
03/10/2005 at 17:20
I have found that if you are in improving runner then marathon training will give a further boost to your track times. Similarly if the marathon training is taking you to new heights of endurance and high end aerobic work (like with Paula R's 1st marathon).

Once you've got a solid relationship between all your times though you won't be in peak 10k and Marathon shape at the same time. (see Paula's 10000m and Marathon at the World Champs).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.