winter running

14 messages
09/11/2006 at 16:20
Hi,
Can someone help me i run 7 times a year in the summer and in the winter i find it hard to run 2-3 times a week. Can someone help me by telling me what i could do to motivate myself to run in the winter. And if there is anything i can do to help you by giving you a training plan just say because i have over 50 of them on my computor for distances from 5k up to half marathon.
Thanks
Huw
09/11/2006 at 17:02
Hiya Huw,
This sounds like a case of the dreaded
Seasonal Adjustment Disorder,cold wet weather,dark mornings,evenings is hardly
offering any motivation for any of us,but
bright coloured foods (think peppers etc)
and positive thinking may just help you get over that block, think of every run in
the winter is a run closer to the summer...
Hope this helps
Janine :)
09/11/2006 at 17:10
You just need to enjoy running for it's own sake then it's easy. Makes no difference if it's summer or winter if you have the right clothing.
JJ
09/11/2006 at 17:11
just decide to do some race or other that means you MUST train over the winter to finish / meet such and such time goal. ironman lanzarote springs to mind, but i'm sure there's a running equivalent. or pick someone whose ass you're gonna kick - but only if you train hard enough.

short term loss, long term gain.
09/11/2006 at 17:15
Find yourself a friend on this site and chart your progress together. I run at lunchtimes so that I get some daylight in and it just becomes part of my working day.
09/11/2006 at 17:21
Huw...im feeling the same, dark nights, dark mornings....rubbish.

But this morning I got up extra early and went for an hour run before brekkie....I started about 630 i think...and it was clear and bliddy cold, but the moon was out the sun was starting to rise, and it was really peaceful and nice (luckily i live close to countryside)...so perhaps thats one option?

Secondly...I was trying to get over a cold weekend jut gone, and was very miffed that I couldnt really run even though the weather was bright and sunny and lovelly. I would normally try to do some kind of extra long x-country run....get an Ordnance Survey map for inspiration, to allow me to get out there and enjoy the sun while it shows its face!

So that is two possible options to hopefully inspire you to get out there...plan running around the weather perhaps?...and go out for long runs when its sunny to make up for not going out as often? thats what I try to do as I find it hard to get out at this time of year as I hate it...all i want to do is goto bed and stay there
09/11/2006 at 19:40
Huw - What motivates me is the thought of lining up at the start of the FLM thinking i wish ihad gone out on those extra runs and not let the weather / season get the better of me. i personally prefer to get up and run in the morning as opposed to the evenings. We each have our own preferences, self-motivation comes from within. Perhaps find a running partner, that way you are less likely to not do your run for fear of letting your partner down. I prefer the company of my Ipod and like my own plodding pace. Running in the heat is harder than running in the cold. Good Luck, are you in the 2007 FLM?
LOK
09/11/2006 at 21:02
suggestion for winter:
- get a treadmill and set up a tv dvd player in front of it

watch your fave dvd's

(it worked for me)
LOK
09/11/2006 at 21:32
Personally, i cannot stand running on a tread mill, but a good idea, what do you watch for the longer runs Schindlers List?
09/11/2006 at 22:01
Huw, running in winter is the best. How else can you justify all those yummy winter puddings like treacle sponge and custard...
13/11/2006 at 06:17
Huw - I put my running gear in the tumble dryer for a few minutes so that when I go out into a cold morning I am toasty-warm. Or hang them over a radiator. By the time the warmth wears off you'll have warmed up from the inside.

I love running in the winter because afterwards I feel warm for the rest of the day.
13/11/2006 at 08:27
The hardest part is just getting out there, once you're out its fine.

You see precious little daylight (let alone sunshine) in the winter so make the most of it while its there and get out into it.

If the weather is poor just go for a short run - 25 minutes or so - and save the long runs for the good weather. Once you go out for the easy 25 you might even find its not so bad and carry on.

Try to go out to places with a bit of 'nature'. Yesterday I ran along the canal - something I hadn't done since late September - and enjoyed seeing how it had changed with autumn. Plus, I got to see a Kingfisher.

If you can only run at night then maybe join a club or get a running partner?
13/11/2006 at 11:13
Winter running, for me, also means an opportunity to get out and soak up some of those few precious hours of daylight :o) Fortunately, my working week is organised so that I can do three weekday runs in daytime and finish work in the dark.

And, as Johnny says, having the right clothes can make all the difference.
17/11/2006 at 17:28
join a running club. you can drive there in the cosy luxury of your car, and once there you will feel you have to go out on a run or just look really silly driving straight home again! i have joined, and now go running with the club twice a week (when can make it) and then try and fit in 2 early morning runs at 6.30am. i love getting up at 6.00on a saturday when everyone else is asleep, sneaking out at 6.30 am and running while the sun comes up. bliss! but then maybe i'm strange. new gadgets also help - ipod, garmin? expensive i know, but my garmin has got me out all weathers and times! hope that helps, plum x

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.