Winter training

41 to 50 of 50 messages
13/11/2002 at 04:11
I have different routes for winter and summer, in the summer its all parks and off road stuff, but in the winter I definitely try to keep to the well lit streets. Dark parks are just too creepy.

I feel safer in the morning, although traffic is more curtious in the evening when people aren't rushing too work. Of course it's very easy to roll over and sleep another hour in the morning...

13/11/2002 at 11:56
I would definitely feel less safe running pre-dawn. There are far less people and traffic about and although I run on well-lit residential streets there are a couple of places (under the railway bridge, for example) which are quite dark and have trees/bushes either side of the road. I like the fact that in the evening there is a constant stream of traffic passing me as I run these bits. I'm sure if anyone attacked me no-one would stop to help, but it makes me feel better anyway!

I prefer parks and off-road for summer, but would never take the risk in the winter. Running in the dark makes it feel much later than it is, plus I find I have to run a bit slower than I would in the light just to keep an eye out for hard-to-see obstacles (like big pot holes in the road which you don't always see until your foot is down one!)
13/11/2002 at 12:05
I'm an early morning runner - mainly because I find it easy to get up early and then my exercise is done for the day!

Also, as Minkin says there are less people around, however, I ond't mind this as yobs who hurl abuse and objects are all tucked up in bed. Mostly I see the postman, milkman dustbin men, a couple of early dog walkers and a couple of early morning runners.

As with the others here, I run on well lit resedential roads when it's dark (morning or evening) and leave the more interesting runs for the weekend. Either way, as I live in Woking and work in London whether I run morning or evening -it's in the dark!

Happy Shambler!
Ab
13/11/2002 at 21:41
This is my first winter of running and I'm finding it quite hard to stay motivated and get out in the dark. I make the effort a couple of times during the week but look forward to Saturday and Sunday daylight runs to recharge the batteries. Tonight I went out and didn't even manage 20mins before I headed home. Pounding the streets isn't the same when there's no view.
Have to keep telling myself its all in a good cause - the goal of a half marathon next spring.
14/11/2002 at 00:06
I live in the country and would need to drive to the nearest town for a lit route in the dark. I don't feel safe running along pitch black country lanes on my own, even with a headtorch. So try to get around it by doing the evening club session one night, having 2 rest days during the week rather than taking one at the weekend (which would suit the family better!) and squeezing 2 more runs in the daytime when I can, Like someone said, fitting in longer runs in the week will definitely be a challenge.
cougie    pirate
14/11/2002 at 12:54
I'm really lucky - I normally run at night and there are street lamps all around my 2 mile lap. Don't do anything more than 6 or 8 miles on it, and save the long run for the weekend.

Only once have teenagers been a pain, and that was when a few reckoned they could out run me. They couldn't - maybe that's why they haven't bothered again !
14/11/2002 at 12:57
You can still run around your town, village or city after dark. As long as it's a well lit area and you are wearing reflective clothing you will be o.k.
14/11/2002 at 13:02
But its not the cars I am worried about
14/11/2002 at 14:31
I'm quite lucky as I do most of my runs during the day now. I walk the kids to school as a warm-up and then have a quick change and go.

I've also got a few well-light residential routes for evening runs if I don't get out in daytime.
15/11/2002 at 14:13
All my running is in the dark, I get off the train part way home and run the rest, except for the long run when I run the whole way home.
Worst run was at 9.30pm from Ramsgate Harbour to Broadstairs Harbour and back along the beach in the dark this summer. Twisted my ankle twice but got a better time than when I ran it during the day during the Harbour Wall Banger race by 5 minutes!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 50 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.