Yoga

6 messages
08/06/2011 at 22:43
I'm thinking of taking a weekly yoga class at my gym. It will be on a Thursday which is currently a day I have down as rest/X Train. Could I class the yoga as a form of exercise not too strenuous that fits somewhere in between the above? My flexibility is pretty poor so I'm hoping it will help out with the running. Anyone else do Yoga?
08/06/2011 at 22:46

I really do not see how it can harm.

I do Pilates classes when I get the chance and whilst still at the beginner level I find I feel more supple and flexible after the classes. 

If I have not trained that day I sometimes go for a swim afterwards  if I really feel the need to get a session in.  I think of Yoga/Pilates as relaxation rather than training

08/06/2011 at 22:52

Yoga's a great way of stretching and strengthening your muscles and making everything a bit more supple.  The relaxation part is fantastic too but don't be kidded on tha tits easy!  Some of the poses are really tricky to begin with and you'll ache like buggery the day after your first few sessions BUT its definitely worth it for the benefits you'll reap.  I've not been since my separation 4 years ago (too many Wickerman types in the village) but I still miss it alot.  Now looking for another local class to try to rehab my hip.

Give it a go, its definitely worth a shot and if its not for you at least you'll know you tried.

09/06/2011 at 09:32
+ 1 for CD.

I used to go on a Monday evening, the day after my LSR. It was wonderful to feel all the tight achey muscles loosen up. Monday is my rest day too, but the benefits I got from yoga definitely outweighed not having a full rest day.

There's something about the stretches and poses in yoga that is very soothing. I'm always very chilled when I come out of class. I miss it if I don't do it as do my legs / hips.

I'm doing a Yoga for Runner workshop next weekend, with a specially designed routine to help our problem bits.
09/06/2011 at 11:40
Yoga is good, I really wish I enjoyed it more.

I think the problem is the environment - we basically do it in the canteen after work on Wednesdays. I keep skipping lessons because I find the whole experience so uninviting. It's dead cheap and the teacher is good but it's all a bit bleah.....
09/06/2011 at 21:46

I tried yoga for a while but the classes where too late in the evening for me. I'm hoping to find a class that I can get to.

As I have really bad flexibility and posture - more I am pigeon toed and have inward facing patella - yoga should be able to help hich I hope will help my running or at least help to keep me injury free.

I think yoga has got to help right into old age, past running.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.