11 days 21 hours , who's going to Wimbleball ?

21 to 22 of 22 messages
17/06/2013 at 12:05

JP thanks for all your support marshalling; some of the marshalls stood on junctions freezing cold and wet for hours yet still shouting encouragement at us.

I managed to complete the race but never felt my feet from getting in to "warm up" for the swim to the 2 mile mark on the run.

The swim was cold but little current and it was easy to navigate so the swim was fairly uneventful - in at 40.41.

Soon after the start of the bike it started raining heavily although there was little wind.  As JP stated, the cold meant I couldn't feel my hands and was struggling not only with the brakes but changing gears.  The course is 2 laps with multiple climbs and tough in normal conditions but the weather made it harder and at certain points a little dangerous.  Met up with Citizen and exchanged "pleasantries" - hope you made it ok.  Arrived at T2 at 4.19 freezing, numb and not looking forward to the half marathon.

The run is 3 laps of up then down on grass, dirt track or gravel.  The grass was muddy and slippy but this added to the "fun" of it.  All the competitors supported each other as did the marshalls and crowd, particularly on the stretch around the lake.  My aim was to run 3 evenly paced laps, which I nearly managed, I slowed on the final lap but didn't walk which I was pleased with.  Finished the run in 2.27 with a total time of 7.42:40 which on that course in those conditions is pretty much was I expected.

However, one bad point: it took us nearly 2 hours to leave the car park after the race and on arriving on Sunday there were delays on getting to the car park - athletes were walking 1-2 miles to transition just to be on time.  This issue does need to be addressed by the organisers, but other than that, if you're looking for a tough half, this is one to do.

citizen 146    pirate
19/06/2013 at 08:35

heh, thanks to all the volunteers and JP , that was probably me on the bike as my wonderful pirate ''winter bike jacket'' came into it's own!

Nice one Sue, lovely to meet you , your time was my time from 2 years ago , this year was slower (just made the cut off for many reasons,) will hopefully write a ''race report'' either tonight or tomorrow when I have a moment,   for now thanks to all the marshalls and volunteers, and all those who shouted out for the pirates even the lady who said ''your not poison I will still shout for you''!!!!!    ........back to work.............

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.