1980s = Marathon, 2010 = Ironman, what next?

1 to 20 of 29 messages
14/02/2013 at 12:15

In the 80s, Marathon was all the rage. In fact, it was regarded as the extreme sports achievement of the day.

Now, marathon isn't such a big deal. It's just the last 30% of your Ironman race.

Times move on, now Ironman has replaced Marathon as the extreme sport du jour but it, too, will have its time.

What comes next?

seren nos yn canu    pirate
14/02/2013 at 12:47

i agree with you but i'm struggling to think what it could be..........i suppose if i could i could make some big bucks in setting it up.....

maybe something involving ulotra running and mountain peaks.........

14/02/2013 at 12:52

Something like this...

http://www.himalayanguides.com/marathon_trail_running_race_kanchenjunga.php

...but maybe a 20 day back-to-back like the TdF??

14/02/2013 at 12:57

mountain ultras - c 100miles - seem to be the new challenge in terms of "hardness".  that or multi-day endurance events in extreme terrain - such as the 6633 Ultra in the Arctic.

or maybe Decaman, or Double-Deca, or the new Trenta-Deca - but I'd rather shoot my brains out than do 30 IM back to back

14/02/2013 at 12:59
I said the same to my OH a few months back, she suggested that I only thought IM was the current big thing, cos me and all my mates were involved.
14/02/2013 at 13:34
Extreme snooker?
Cheerful Dave    pirate
14/02/2013 at 14:06

To get to the mass popularity of marathon running or IM, it'd need to be something you could do in a day, something that could be done anywhere in the world (within reason) and something that didn't cost an absolute fortune to do (IM isn't cheap, but it's affordable compared with (say) sailing.  Ultra running probably fits the bill best, but it won't be a 20 day event.

As for trenta-deca, I'm with FB - I'd rather shoot his brains out than do 30 IM back to back.

14/02/2013 at 14:12

Ultras in extreme conditions? Like Badwater

14/02/2013 at 14:12

"As for trenta-deca, I'm with FB - I'd rather shoot his brains out than do 30 IM back to back."

14/02/2013 at 14:25
xine267 wrote (see)

most of the more extreme ultras now require qualification points - they're not just rock up and give it a go type events.  that kind of sorts the chaff from the wheat so only those who have shown a certain level of ability get a chance to race but sadly it also makes getting an entry a lottery which many of these events now operate.

M...eldy    pirate
14/02/2013 at 16:35

I agree with Mr Cheerful 

14/02/2013 at 16:39

I still the Everest marathon without ropes made sense... by 2030, the fat girls from the office will be doing it in pink tutus and gorilla outfits

Cheerful Dave    pirate
14/02/2013 at 19:08

Form an orderly queue, melds.  Obviously FB gets first go.

meface    pirate
14/02/2013 at 21:36

The extreme urban comps are getting very popular.

Urban multi-day extreme sports events.

Friday Night - Sprint and/or navigational challenge
Saturday - Endurance Day - Biking, running with challenges
Sunday - Marathon with obstacles

Dubai Dave    pirate
15/02/2013 at 09:39
Adventure racing with ever increasing distances over a long weekend.

Multiple marathons 4 in 4, multiple day cycle events

Ultra running is nothing new, I was doing 100 milers 25 years ago.

Long distance swimming events seem to be becoming more popular.

In reality your limited to something which can be done in a long weekend, anything longer is going to be limited in popularity.
15/02/2013 at 10:46

Park Run?

15/02/2013 at 10:55

I'm imagining a post-apocalyptic future where all the fossil fuels have run out and the London Marathon is sponsored by BP.  Everyone's plugged into a manual treadmill and the winner is the person who can generate the most electricity over 2 hours of running.

If Richard Branson's reading this, please don't steal my idea.  Cheers.

cougie    pirate
15/02/2013 at 11:46
Mad Max on the 'Mill ?

I'm thinking it will be adventure racing. They're already getting quite popular. I don't mean the extreme 7 day ones where any sleep taken adds to your time - but the one or two day events. Accessible to most people over a weekend.
15/02/2013 at 11:49
PhilPub wrote (see)

I'm imagining a post-apocalyptic future where all the fossil fuels have run out and the London Marathon is sponsored by BP.  Everyone's plugged into a manual treadmill and the winner is the person who can generate the most electricity over 2 hours of running.

If Richard Branson's reading this, please don't steal my idea.  Cheers.

Phil - that sounds a bit like 15 Million Merits from Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror series!

15/02/2013 at 11:51
fat buddha wrote (see)
xine267 wrote (see)

most of the more extreme ultras now require qualification points - they're not just rock up and give it a go type events.  that kind of sorts the chaff from the wheat so only those who have shown a certain level of ability get a chance to race but sadly it also makes getting an entry a lottery which many of these events now operate.

Ahh, I suppose that's a good thing. The risk of serious injury for the unprepared on a course like Badwater must be huge.

1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.