2012 in review

How did we all do?

21 to 40 of 50 messages
K9
31/12/2012 at 23:48

Totals

6000 miles cycled, 543 miles swum, 275 miles running

Highlights

Despite starting the year injured and only able to swim, actually managing to compete in 2 x Olys and 1 HIM distance 

Learning to ski

Finishing the 214 Wainwrights

Fantastic cycling holiday in NZ

Lowlights

Just my ongoing chronic injuries....but they are part of my life now

Staying out of trouble

Races are a bonus...

01/01/2013 at 00:55

Highs:-

Brighton Marathon (2nd fastest marathon).

Inspired by Olympics to take up cycling and then triathlon.

Completing the OW swim of my first tri (oly) after only 11 swim sessions (I was bricking it before as had only managed 375m non stop beforehand)

The feel of `racing` on the bike leg of said tri.

Coming out of T2 on said tri and feeling like i was running really slow, only to find after half mile, Garmin said i was doing 7 min mile pace.

All the lovely new tri gear i`ve bought this year to get me going in this sport.

Lows:-

Not being able to stand up out of the water after said swim (kept falling left LOL).

All the lovely new tri gear i`ve bought this year to get me going in this sport (wife`s   perspective).

The two colds i`ve just had. Last three weeks, only 2 training sessions.

2013:-

PB at Brighton Marathon (current PB was set 10 years ago).

First HIM at Outlaw.

Loads more Tri`s

New 10k PB (again, PB is over 10 years old).

Iron distance swim at Arun River Race.

Dustboy    pirate
02/01/2013 at 00:03

Totals

Loads

Highlights

Surrey rides, Saffers' club sprint tri, club fun swimming gala, PB mara sub 5 (shit time but fun day out). Cabbage Patch 10, Cambridge tri, pirate support/piss taking

Lowlights

• DNF at Outlaw
  • Cold urticaria/angiodema has come back with a vengeance
  • IM ban from the Cardiologist

Summary

Ho hum, blessed that still allowed to compete shorter distances.

• Shorter and faster. Lose the gut, tune the swim, up the run pace.
  • Run some Surrey rides for those in need of helpful training.
  • Be a sadistic bastard (see above)
  • Get back to having a laugh rather than slogging out stoopid, painful 75 miles
  • Go back to 10 mile TTs and break 30 mins (yeah, laugh)
  • Try and get me back fixed a bit.
  • See if I can nail a Half IM bike and keep me toe down without drugs (see above)
  • Think of ways to get around Cardios ban.

And catch up with a few on here from time to time.

The Silent Assassin    pirate
02/01/2013 at 08:21

Totals

No Idea

Highlights

Ironman Wales
Manchester Marathon
Pirate DIY Half IM (What a great laugh with great mates)
Feed station at Outlaw, great laugh again and great to see so many Pirates
Beating the wife at Stockport 10 to retain the Hayter Trophy

Lowlights

See the wife knacker her back and only manage to Outlaw as a relay
Getting the FLU 3 weeks before Christmas
Having to pull out the double IM

Still undecided

02/01/2013 at 08:51

Totals

Running 1300miles (thiis actually surprised me)

Highlights

Amsterdam marathon. Knocked another 16 mins off and ran a "perfectly paced"  race , which is giving me the confidence to know that I can put up with more pain than I think (will be needed for Outlaw)

And reading so much inspirational stuff from you guys on here just makes me realise that I can do more.

Outlaw Half and full (gulp)                                                                       Florence Marathon                                                                                         and hopefully a sub 2 half mara in February

Have fun everyone

02/01/2013 at 09:04

Totals

no idea - leave that to the stats nerds

Highlights

none on racing

qualifying for BTF RTO official status so I can now ref open water events

Lowlights

being injured most of the year with PF which has curbed my training and made it miserable to race (when I have)

a few events lined up and lots of reffing

02/01/2013 at 12:31

Totals

Swim - 104k

Bike - (Only got one in April) - Good start at - 1285 - This will improve

Run - 1264m - chuffed over my 1200m target

Highlights

3:40 marathon, 1:36 half 

Going from being unable to swim 2 lenghts FC to 4k

Lowlights

not sure... bike hurts

Outlaw

Same Oct marathon under 3:30 and Half under 1:30 - did i just put that on paper......

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 12:32
02/01/2013 at 12:32

Totals

Haven't a clue!

Highlights

The DIY Half IM - what a fab weekend with a fab bunch of mates!

Getting my new bike

Watching Jordy's shorts fall down as we all ran down the Finishers chute at the Outlaw!

Getting a place at IM Florida 2013

Lowlights

Worrying if i would have to pull out of the Outlaw after suffering with a trapped nerve in my back.  

IM Florida

02/01/2013 at 15:30

Totals

B 3300m, R 756m, S 179,000m

Highs

Coming back from injury and completing the Fritton tri, with no run training in 10 weeks.

Completing the Monster middle despite having a meltdown on the run.  2hrs 19 half marathon was not my happiest run.  But I felt really proud to have finished when others dropped in the heat.

Viking double olympic in September.  Really cold day but ran really strong after freezing 3K swim and arctic 52m bike.

Lows

Missing January to April with hip flexor tendonitus and hamstring trouble.

Dropping out of the Norwich half marathon mid way through the training with a calf tear and more hamstring trouble.

The Outlaw.  First 140.6 and I'm crapping myself!

02/01/2013 at 15:45

Totals:

Running - don't know
Cycling - over 1,300 miles (don't you love Garmin Connect?)

Highs:

Getting a road bike and starting to ride, doing three (well two and a half) sportives.

Discovering that there is NEVER a queue for the ladies' loos at bike events! 

Lows:

Falling off the bike and crunching my shoulder during the third sportive!

More riding, and more running.  I'm planning to do an event a month for the year.

Razor51    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:30
Highs
Meeting some great people
Being at SA's DIY Half
Watching my best mate Horse finish Outlaw.

Lows
Coming off my bike and breaking my leg 24 weeks into the Fink plan for Outlaw and wrecking my season.

SA's DIY Half in May
Ribby Hall sprint
Outlaw
And others to be decided
Edited: 02/01/2013 at 17:38
02/01/2013 at 22:24

Totals
Bike, about 1000 miles (800 odd in 10 days).  Run, about 30 miles.  Swim not an excessive amount!  (I don't seem to like training!)

Highs
In order through the year.  Dusty's Surrey rides, Retiring aged 50, LEtJOG, Supporting other half at BriLo (Bristol to London cycle ride) and finishing Outlaw.  Fantastic Pirate support at Outlaw.  Loved the swim in the rowing lake!  Pirate Christmas Swim gala!  

Lows
Constant knee pain.  Losing my only car key in Richmond Park whilst riding with Dusty!  Horrendous blisters during Outlaw walk!  They wouldn't have been as bad if I'd run a bit more!!  Not seeing the bloke who helped me believe I could complete Outlaw finish himself!  Finishing the year nearly two stone heavier than I started!

VLM in April if I can get knee's and achilies sorted so I can actually do some training before the event.  Henley?  Possibly, but again depends upon knees. 

02/01/2013 at 22:36
Edited: 02/01/2013 at 22:36
02/01/2013 at 23:29

2012 a game of two halves.

January to June:
Run 986.13 miles
Bike 3000 miles
Swim 100 miles

I made it through the first six months without any set backs (injury/illness) things couldn't've gone better really. The Outlaw was my A race and the primary target was to finish without walking on the run. Secondary target was to go sub 11. Both of which I achieved, plus as a bonus I placed 3rd in my age group, so I've got a nice trophy to treasure.
The Outlaw - 10:36:59 (1:08:09 - 5:51:27 - 3:29:19) 

I didn't do any other triathlon races but I did do the outstanding  DIY Half IM organised by Mr & Mrs SA (big thanks

Other best race performances;
Halewood 5k  - 17:50
Rainford Bypass TT10 - 25:26  .. Saighton TT10 - 25:46

July - December:
Run 788.38 miles
Bike 0 miles
Swim 0 miles

I was really up for it after my Outlaw success.  I took it easy in July allowing for some recovery. Then picked it up in August, but by the end of the month I just wasn't getting anywhere so backed off and rested in September. Came back in October having put the thoughts of a marathon pb behind me and decided to focus on shorter distances, but was still struggling, by the end of November I'd had enough and quit.  Not a good second half .

I'm out of retirement and hopeful of getting back in shape and with the creation of a new local parkrun starting this month (maybe Feb) I'm targeting a sub 18 on that course and if that happens and things go well I'll come up with some new goals for later in the year (marathon pb?)

No more triathlons for me tho that is 100% certain. (I will be part of the DIY HIM support team in May tho)

All ther best for 2013.

Dubai Dave    pirate
03/01/2013 at 07:24

Totals B 4785 R 1746 S 183 Miles

Highs

Going sub 2-30 three times for a Olympic, 10K PB by over 90 seconds

Lows

Outlaw, finished well enough but got no enjoyment out of it, hated the swim.

First up is targeting a marathon PB in Dubai 25/01. Then its Tri season through to Abu Dhabi in March, I have three Oly's two sprints and Abu Dhabi. After that it will be back to the bike training for Ride Across Britain in June, before heading back to the UK for good at the begining of July. Challenge Henley 1/2 IM in September

Stoatally Different    pirate
03/01/2013 at 08:16

Swim 44miles
Bike 1662miles
Run 380miles
Cross train 52hours
Total time 284hours

Not very much by most of teh very impressive standards above, but I'm reasonably happy with it. It all went ok until November when I just lost interest in lots of things, so a very poor end to the year

2012 Highs:
Deva Oly - lovely tri, lovely setting, posh hotel and watching the wife do the Deva Divas the day before was ace
Cotswold 113 HIM - first HIM, went in with hardly any training after getting shouted at to JFDI by all the pirates - also first time in Yellow & Black
Pirate Christmas swim champs and party

Lows:
Being a lazy arse, not getting plans in place properly, no consistent training. Just missing 1:30 in Wilmslow sprint

2013: Looking forward to:
Consistent training, following the plan and taking advantage of teh support, guidance and encouragement of fellow Pirates
Waiting on my own black and yellow kit to arrive (So excited)
New job, settling in and finding work/life/training balance
Getting fitter and faster

2013 Events:
Outlaw Half
Outlaw
DIY HIM
Berlin Velothon
London 100 (Hopefully)
London-Paris ride
Beachy Head maa

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/01/2013 at 08:46

Totals: no idea.

Highs:
IMW.  Even the bits I didn't like were good.  Supporting afterwards from Schmunks' hotel room windown with chips in one hand and a mug of tea in the other was a special highlight.
Outlaw.  Seeing Mel win.  Getting 2nd in my AG.  Pirating generally.  All good.
London Marathon.  Keeping it there or thereabouts.

Lows:
Missing lots of other races after scheduling the above.  Especially half marathons and HIM, I love racing those.
Being pants at the winter ballbuster.

2013:
VLM again, some half marathons, HIM.  Vachery middle looks like a good one.

03/01/2013 at 08:55

Totals

On home computer

Highlights

Completing first tri
Meeting a few pirates at Concord tri
PB at Cardiff HM of 1:27:31
Pirate Christmas Party

Lowlights
Getting to the Gower Oly at about 10 mins before the start so not being setup properly
Aggrivating achillies in Gower tri so having to rest for a month ahead of Cardiff HM
Cocking up pacing in Cardiff HM so to miss target

Getting to racing weight
Llanelli marathon
DIY half IM
Deva Oly
Bala
Outlaw
IM Wales
Sub 1:25 at Cardiff Half

bburn plO.dder    pirate
03/01/2013 at 11:52

Totals:

run    720 miles
cycle 2,350 miles
swim no idea!!

Highlights

All things piratey
DIY Half - my first half
Outlaw - my first full

Lowlights

having to breaststroke an iron distance swim - can't bloody do fc !!
manchester marathon - sooo cold, shorts 'n t shirt = big mistake

Manchester Mara (my revenge)
DIY Half
Outlaw mara leg
IMCH

AND I WILL LEARN TO SWIM !!

03/01/2013 at 13:12

Hope this is not just for IMs...as just a newbie tri-wannabe and my mileage won't be anywhere near yours...

Totals
swim 10.5km  (I know what I need to do more...)
bike 1012.32mi (can't believe it was this high)
run 214.08mi

Highlights
Completing my first sprint tri
Cycling round Welsh Coast from Swansea to Mold
Completing my first half mara and running all the way!

Lowlights
Lost motivation after half mara, put on weight and got unfit

Learn fc
OD tri
maybe HIM, Wild Boar in September if training goes well
Get fit again

21 to 40 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.