How did we all do?
TotalsA bit of everything.
HighlightsThe Outlaw. What a great day PBs galore.
LowlightsBike crash in Feb that I thought had ended my Outlaw chances.Getting up on the morning of the Marshman and seeing the weather.Motivation being very patchy since Outlaw.
2013Arse back into gear and do some racing.
well here goes, probably a little different from the others....
Totals:No Idea, not that much due to a sprained ankle in March which then led to ITB issues.
Highlights:- TCR 10k, a race I did in 2011 in 39:04, finishing in 35:09! A massive PB, though the hard work was mainly done in 2011. Did with a sprained wrist that was aching a lot the day after running the first half of the spring ballbuster (before crashing)
- Winning all but one of the 5k parkruns I have run in the year.
- Realising I wouldn't be the worst at this sport if I actually trained, learnt to pace, and learnt to disciplineLowlights:- Spring Ballbuster - Crashing on the first lap of the bike. Ran the first 8 mile run about 3 minutes quicker than the previous one and was happy in about ~20th place, until my wheels went on some oil with a couple of other people. Bust my hands up so had to DNF
- Endurer adventure race - Losing my first place position after spraining my ankle (Felt I could have won), stupidly deciding to continue for the rest of the race, going in the wrong direction and taking an accidental massive shortcut which meant they tried to congratulate me as I crossed the finish line first when I knew I was in about 8th... leading to a DQ
- London Marathon - DNS due to realising the aforementioned sprained ankle was worst than I had realised
- Sheffield Half Marathon - DNS due to sprained ankle
- Thames Turbo Triathlon 1 - DNS due to sprained ankle
- Thames Turbo Triathlon 2 - DNF - decided to just do the swim and bike as I couldnt run because of the ankle
- Trying to put lots of work in on the bike with a sprained ankle led to ITB issues which stopped me biking for a few weeks
- Outlaw Ironman - DNF - drinking the night before, not doing any run training and only a few long bike sessions, and trying to ride the bike like a madman ended up in me pulling out an incredible bike split (for me) and then setting off to run a marathon pb... until the second half of the run when I just pretty much collapsed from the exhaustion, then couldnt stop vomiting for most of the rest of the day
Summary:A terrible year, though feel I proved myself as a runner and almost as a triafalete type.
2013:It was going to be a toss up between trying to qualify for the Olympic world champs in London, or a sub 10 attempt at outlaw... then I moved to India for a few months. If I am able to just run a bit, enter a couple of local races simply for the fun, and lose a bit of Christmas podge, I will be happy
TotalsRun: 805Cycle: 1405Swim: 73,000m.
I suspect the cycle and swim are somewhat under recorded. I swam double that the previous year and although I was bit short on OW swims. I swim most weekends with a masters group and do 2500-3000m which is more than the total shown. Also rarely recorded turbo sessions this year.
HighlightsOlympicsSub-4 at Brighton Marathon.1:45 at MK Half13:20 for 54m While Cliffs Challenge Outlaw
and generally swimming, biking and running. would even list as bailing at mile 77 of a 100m walk as highlight.
TotalsRun: 827kmCycle: 2638kmSwim: 263km
Highlights10k OW SwimNew 5k PB at 16:40New 10k PB at 34:24New HM PB at 1:17:30 1st in AG in Irish National Middle Distance ChampsQualifying for London champs in 2013First century bike rideNo injuries worth mentioningShiny new bike!
LowlightsForgetting my wetsuit at a race and borrowing a surfing wetsuitTurning up hungover or fatigued to too many races
AimsSub 16 minute 5k Hang onto my AG title in MayGive the world champs a good effort Cycle more
Biggest deal for me would have to be my son buying me a fat triathletes can-do memoir rather than lance armstrongs biography cause 'he's a cheat dad' and re-awakeing my desire to be dave scott.
Bit short on totals -
Run: 160mlsCycle: 68mlsSwim: 6mls
Got up of my considerable posterior and began training, resulting in loosing 2stone+ of the hard white stuff that kills you and achieving
5k PB at 35:0510k PB at 1:09:15aquathon PB at 1:03:51 dropped from 305lbs to 277lbsentered outlaw half in 2013
(oh, and ordering my pirate costume - in a size I havent been since I lost the hair and gained 100lbs of insulation)
LowlightsDam near snapping a foot of at the aquathonmissing outlaw full entry due to expensing my new jobs european travel for two months
AimsSub 30 minute 5k Outlaw Half in sub 7hrssub 2hr15 half marathon shed another 5stone by outlaw race day
(oh ....Outlaw 2013 entry via waitlist and have some fun)
AmbitionsIronman UK 2014 entry Outlaw Half 2014 entry Speed and Endurance after the lard loss
Run: 800mlsCycle: 1680mlsSwim: 160mls
HighlightsThe new tri bike EDT training camp in Lanza. Rode with the fast group, won the hill climb TT - go meIM Lanza. So good I'm going back againLowlights(Cue mawdling music)Broke after the above camp. oopsBroke permanently again in October
Ambitionsbeing able to ride wellcompleting Lanza 2013 with a walk/shuffle/run on no run training
It's all hand written ,so that must make me a low tech nerd. Achieved 10 hours per week training for the first half of the year.... second half tailed off a lot since my last event in October.
Outlaw in 14 52 ,which was 2 hours faster than hoped for, and my first full distance.
Meeting the pirates at the above and deciding to come on board for a bit of swashbuckling..
Current chest infection and string of colds for over a month , makes me realise how fortunate I am to be rarely sick!
There is a silver lining ? No training for weeks and weeks has seen the disappearance of nagging back ,sciatic , and knee pain! Puts me in mind of that fantastic internet spoof were the triathlete spieled off all her distances for that session whilst confessing to multiple stress fractures and writing it all off because ''I am a triathlete'' - that's what we get...
Outlaw 2013, IMUK 70.3 2013, Getting back to being able to train ( reading through this thread it seems to be a common cause of misery)
this has inspired me to keep a running total in my lovely low tech notebook for next year, Can't wait until the pirate kit comes next week, if it doesn't fit quite as well as hoped, that can be sorted
Visit the official Triathlete's World page
Follow Triathlete's World on Twitter
Other Natmag-Rodale Sites
About Triathlete's World